Team Camaro Tech banner

Which Mufflers offer the best performance and sound?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  metalchecker 
#1 ·
Hello again,

Well it looks like my 502 engine will be done in the next few weeks. My engine builder said it should produce an easy 650hp we will see after the dyno test. Anyway I’m still trying to round up the rest of the parts and would like to order an exhaust system but can’t decide on mufflers. I will be using Torque Tech 3” exhaust pipes and tail pipes. Torque Tech recommends a muffle with a 14” case to avoid welding. Can anyone recommend a good performance and sounding muffler for my application? How do Dynomax muffles sound? Do they sound like glass packs with their straight through design and fiberglass deadening material? I would prefer to stay away from the raspy sound of glass packs. Summit also makes a turbo? Your input is greatly appreciated. I could not have done the project with out the help from you guys!
Thanks Joe

See less See more
#5 ·
sfcamaro69, thanks for the listen - you have glasspacks on your site too - how much quieter are the dynomax than the glasspacks? Its hard to tell from the files which is louder. Thanks.

#7 ·
A word of caution regarding the Torque Tech system being used with a rat motor. I did that, and it will take a bit of work to get it to fit correctly, due to the motor mounting issue. On BB Camaros, the engine sits on an angle, and as a result the header angle (at least on the Hooker Comp's that I was running) is not parallel with the centerline of the vehicle. As a result, you'll need to bend at least one of the pipes to make it fit. The pipes assume an engine that is mounted straight relative to the car centerline. I also used the larger case Flowmasters with this kit, it is tight and you need to do some clipping and welding, but I could make them fit.

I now have a small block in my car and have switched to the 2.5" Flowmaster kit. I wouldn't trade the Flowmaster sound, I personally love the "mechanical" nature of the mufflers versus the "wool scarf" sound of many of the other mufflers I have used in the past (most notably Borla's, hate 'em).

I have my TTech and Flowmaster setup still, taking up room in my garage, I'll sell it cheap. If you are interested, shoot me an e-mail. I can send pictures, etc.

Mark

#10 ·
Originally posted by rogue68:
sfcamaro69, thanks for the listen - you have glasspacks on your site too - how much quieter are the dynomax than the glasspacks? Its hard to tell from the files which is louder. Thanks.
rogue68,

At idle and at cruise I would say just slightly, but the glasspacks have a small diameter, however at WOT the dynomax are louder and much better sounding.

#11 ·
If I may put my 2 cents in. I have the American thunder 2.5" dual inlet/outlet muffler with cross over. I am not as pleased with the tone as I thought I would be although I have never heard it under power since nobody drives my car but me!
I have had opinions of it and most are favorable. I like the little deep throaty sound that gets your attention! Anything that doesn't sound like a rice rocket! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.