Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 69 SSRS that still has the original 8-track on the console with the factory four speaker setup installed. When I bought the car way back when, the original radio was missing and an aftermarket am-fm casette was in it's place. I've been told that a blue dot was most likely original for the car, but I was told that they have a seperate amp unit that mounts somewhere above the glovebox. When I started feeling around for any brackets or mounts in that area yesterday, I couldn't seem to find one. Am I looking in the right place or have I been misinformed? Were all yellow dots mono? What do you think was correct? I'd appreciate any help, Paul

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The 8 track player could be installed with any radio, from the AM radio all the way up to the AM-FM Blue light stereo.

Easiest way to figure out if the Bluelight was used is to look at your 8 track wiring harness. The 8 track used with the blue light stereo has 4 separate wiring harnesses attached to it. 8 tracks with mono radios only have 3 wiring harnesses. The multiplex 8 track has one 3 wire harness for power and ground, one harness to the heat sink up behind the radio, one 6 wire harness for output to the 4 speakers, and one 6 wire input harness from the output of the bluelight stereo to the 8 track. The bluelight fed its output thru the 8 track to get to the speaker harness.

I don't think GM made a console mounted 8 track for use with the multiplex in 69, there is no reference part number in either the AIM or the Delco Radio Service manual for it. The only one I can find that is listed for 69 Camaros is the under dash version (91BT421).

The 68 model year does list 2 different model numbers for console mounted 8 track players for either standard (7307821)and multiplex (7307841) radios.

If your 8track doesn't have the 4 wiring harnesses then it could have had either a mono AM or a mono AM/FM radio. If your antenna mast is still original and is made up of three telescoping sections then the car had an AM radio. If it's a single peice mast then it had an AM/FM radio.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark,

Thank you for that quick and precise reply. It's 12:24 a.m. over here and I just had to get dressed and run outside to the garage to see which I had. Well, I could only find three. As I was pulling the light and cord out of the car, I decided to check one other thing. I stuck my fingers in through the front of the console where the harness enters and felt around in there. I felt something coiled in there and pulled it out. It turned out to be the fourth harness that you described which had the six wires for the blue dot radio. What an awesome description you gave. I guess the previous owner didn't want it hanging when he changed radios, so he coiled it up and stuffed it back in the console. I can't thank you enough for your help. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for an affordable blue dot radio now. Thank you again, Paul

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mark,

I made a boo-boo. I misunderstood your description the first time around. I reread it and went outside again to double check. According to your description, what I have is a mono am-fm setup.
I was always under the impression that because the car had four factory speakers, it must have been a stereo unit. Am I correct in my understanding that the only stereo offered in a 69 Camaro was the blue dot? Did all console mounted 8-tracks come with four speakers? If you had four factory speakers, it would still be a mono setup if you didn't have the blue dot? I just want to make sure I get the facts straight because I'll be starting the resto on this car this summer. Once again, I appreciate your help, Paul

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
You must have found the 2 foot speaker extension harness. For some reason the speaker harness on the 8 track is too short to reach the speaker connection under the dash, so there is an extension harness between the car speaker harness and the 8 track speaker harness.

The 8 track drove the 4 speaker setup. You could probably get a radio delete car with an 8 track and you would still have four speakers in the car.

The Blue light stereo, and the later Yellow light were the only stereo radios available. The Blue light was available both with and without the multiplex unit, don't know if the yellow light was available with the multiplex or not.

The mono radios normally only feed the center dash speaker and the 8 tack feeds all the others. There was an option (U80) that provided an auxilliary speaker in the rear package tray for mono radios. It consists of a fader under the tuning knob with a wiring harness that plugs into the radio output connector and provides two output wires. This option is compatible with the 8 track player, so this option would give you two speakers for your radio (dash and right rear) and four (2 kick panel, and two rear package tray) for the 8 track. In the power harness (3 wires red, black and green) the green wire is the input to the right rear speaker from the U80 harness. It runs through a switch in the 8 track that switches the input for that speaker from the 8 track when a tape is inserted the the radio when the tape is withdrawn. Note that the 8 track will provide power to your radio when you reinstall it, so the radio turns off when a tape is intalled.

Don't try to run both the radio output and the 8 track to the four speakers, as you will short out the output amplifier of the radio as the impedance of the 4 speakers is much lower than the radio was designed for.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 02-09-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts