Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,

I read a post saying r44lt is to be used on "186" heads,but machinist says short reach ,anyone know what plug is right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
For the street, I've always used an R44. When racing an R43 is better for 186 heads. They are the original heads for '70 Z's as well as some other cars.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too have always used R44's on my 70 z

------------------
70 z/28 4sp,71 camaro hugger orange/white stripes,2000 v8 Grand cherokee.

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
I agree

I have a 69 with 186 heads and I use R44
without problems.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Have had much better luck with Champion J12YC's than with AC's - no fouling, no misses.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
20,629 Posts
ME TOO R44TS ? OR ST ? I THINK?
but your shop could be correct due to clearances and what was done to your heads/block.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 01-27-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Doug,

The TS stands for Tapered Seat, and shouldn't be used on 186 heads, because they need gasket seat plugs. If you have later-model heads, they can use the TS plugs. Just FYI.

Shane

·
Registered
285 Posts
How about you telling us the date code from each head. That will help.

I know for a fact the '70 Z's used #186 heads, screw-in studs/guide plates 2.02/1.60 valves. The stock plug was AC R43. For street driving the R44 works better as it is a hotter plug and will foul less. If you prefer a different brand you can cross reference as John Z stated, he likes the Champions better.

The #186's were also used in '69 on the Z's and lower performance small blocks and came in both the small and large valve set-up. I don't think the screw-in studs came until '70.

You might want to try a few different plugs and heat ranges until you find one most compatible with your engine and driving style. The post you mentioned has a test you can do to see which plug will work best for your heads.

[This message has been edited by 70 RS/Z-28 (edited 02-02-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts