Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a set of 4 15x7" rally rims and I was wondering which tires I should go with... Which ones look the best, and definitely which ones have the best traction (it'll have a 383 in it soon
)

Thanx,
Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice car!! And what exactly do the numbers mean? 235 is what? 60 is what? Help me out here, but yeah, they look pretty nice on yours...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently put on 255/60/15 in the rear and 215's in the front. I have a big block and clearance was an issue in the front. They look fantastic and I went with BFG radial t/a's. You can always have the tire shop get several sizes in stock and try them.....if there service orienated....Good luck

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Man, don't get me to lyin'......I'm not exactly sure about the dimensions, I know that 255 is the width of the tire, and the 60 represents the heighth. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The 15 of course, is the 15 inch rim. Anyone else know approximately what the dimensions would be, in inches? I can measure when I get home tonight, if nobody else knows.....KZ

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Using your tire size-

255 = width of the tire in millimeters = 255/25.4 = 10.04"

60 = aspect ratio. It is used to determine a single sidewall thickness. 255mm x 0.6 = 153mm. 153mm/25.4 = 6.02".

Now add up the two sidewalls and the rim diameter. 15" (rim) + 6.02" (sidewall on the ground) + 6.02 (sidewall above the rim) = 27.04" diameter tire.

If the aspect ratio was 50, then it would be 255 x 0.5

These are close approximations. Depending on rim width and tire manufacturer these numbers can vary. It's not uncommon for tires from two different manufacturers mounted on the same rim to have different widths and diameters.

Don't get carried away with tire width on narrow rims. Too much tire on too narrow a rim will cause the tire to ballon out to the sides, cause poor wear, and contribute to poor handling.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, good deal guys... And Carl, which size(s) do you have on your '68?? (Being as it is a '68, like mine, I'm kinda interested). And thanx for filling me in on how to tell which sizes.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I run a 255/60-15 on the rear and a 225/60-15 on the front. The rear rim is a 15 x 8 x 4 1/2" offset and the front is 15 x 7 x 4 1/2" offset. The fronts are fine but the rear slightly rubs the outer fender lip. I have a set of 5" offset rims that I belive will fix that.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts