Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trying a late model fuel injected, roller cam cast iron engine in my 69 and was wondering what year/engine gives the best bang for the buck. I know a LS1 or 2 would be great but, they're still pricey. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
LT1's are cheap now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
well it all depends on where you are located but i have a complete lt1 minus computer and harness that would make a great build. I pulled it from my 4th gen z28 because it started to get a bottom end knock. I was going to rebuild it for a future project but i have enough on my plate right now. but it is pretty complete it might be missing the temp sensor. it ran good until a local dealership really had a good time with my car the night after i took it to them to get the plugs changed for the 100,000 mle tune up. if your interested let me know

·
Registered
782 Posts
You can build a Gen 1 cheaper and with more power than an LT-1, plus you won't have the optispark nightmare. There are quite a few companies making aftermarket injection setups. The Vortec isn't bad, limited to about 400hp or so with stock injectors.
Keep looking for an LS based engine. They make great power and the aluminum block and heads can sure help with weight/handling.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You can build a Gen 1 cheaper and with more power than an LT-1, plus you won't have the optispark nightmare. There are quite a few companies making aftermarket injection setups. The Vortec isn't bad, limited to about 400hp or so with stock injectors.
Keep looking for an LS based engine. They make great power and the aluminum block and heads can sure help with weight/handling.
GENI Vortec 350, TBI, 400hp with stock injectors?

The best bang for the buck out there right now IMO is the 5.3L LSx-style Vortec truck engine. It's not aluminum like the LS1, but it's 300hp, reliable, dirt cheap, with EFI. And once you take the LSx plunge, it's a lot easier to step up to a big LSx engine. The downside is the truck accessories won't fit under the hood, so you'd need to swap to LS1 f-body accessories and intake which bumps the cost for swapping in to our cars.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't really recognize (and most of the gearheads I hang out with) the TBI engines as "vortec". I know that GM messed around with the name, but it didn't really stick until the true Vortec engine came out in '96. And they are limited to around 400hp before an injector change. The guys at http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums have got 'em pretty much figured out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would try to find an lt1, they are cheap, see them all the time around here for the 650-1000 range complete with harness, pcm, acc's. You can bolt it right in, use the headers you already have, if you do, tuning software is much cheaper, and they can be built up pretty cheap. The 5.3 route is about as economical as you're going to get for an lsx swap, but keep in mind you will need mounts, a $600 set of headers, unless you use stock manifolds. I doubt the truck manifold will clear the hood so you will need a car intake, injectors, water pump, tuning software is more expensive, serious oil pan modification, or light modification if you find a car pan. it will add up. I have done several lsx swaps as well as lt1 swaps. There are hidden cost. I don't know what you can find a vortec motor from a 96 up truck for, but I would seriously look into the lt1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts