Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the '67 dyno tested at Loper's Performance Center in Phoenix today and was wondering what rear wheel numbers others have experienced. I am not sure what to expect since the cam is a little milder and the compression is 9.7:1 so it will be interesting to see what the results are.

So chime in if you have had this done.....?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hell yeah...it's the only way to know how much power is getting to the ground. The variables are all gone with the adjusted numbers on a dyno.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A friend of mine had a '68 yenko clone with a 427, holley 750, unknown compression, huge bracket racing cam, headers, air gap intake, and a really crappy HEI distributor, the carb was also not in good shape, it made 320rwhp going through a TH-400 that was leaking all over the place and a ford 9" with 3.50's

Don't expect too terribly much.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice car vegas..... Do not feel bad about dyno numbers. Especially depends on the dyno.

The dyno is used for tuning. Alot of people go to get dyno numbers to verify as well but dynos need to be calibrated regularly. Also STP has to be adjusted which normally is done to get corrected values but then you have inertial values of the dyno wheel that can be out of whack too. Just giving you a warning don't feel bad if they are low.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I went once with my old 69 ragtop...then with my 67 coupe (same 383) when I had an LT1 intake on it, it made around 300 at the wheels. Made some changes went again and made 340 at the wheels and at the track it was around 107 mph in the 1/4. Kept tuning and got it to 110 mph in the 1/4. Swapped in a new cam and now I'm 112's mph in the 1/4 but I haven't been back to the dyno.

My buddy with his 427 BBC was making 350 or so on the dyno and running 11.80's @ 112 or so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 69 with a 383 with 10.7 CR a solid roller cam and Trickflow heads made 372 to the tires, Took the clutch fan off and put an electric fan on and one hour later it made 392, picked 20 hp at the tires changing the clutch fan.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That's true, ask when the last time it was calibrated. The shop I took mine to does it on a pretty regular basis. I know mine are right on the money because I dynoed the engine as well. If in doubt take it to another dyno to compare. While the track may be a good indicator I dont think it's as good as a calibrated dyno. Conditions effect power a bunch. A guy on the strip in Southern California would run similar numbers I would in Vegas with up to 20% less power. That's the beauty of a dyno, it's corrected so everyone is judged with the same conditions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 69 with a 383 with 10.7 CR a solid roller cam and Trickflow heads made 372 to the tires, Took the clutch fan off and put an electric fan on and one hour later it made 392, picked 20 hp at the tires changing the clutch fan.
It's interesting you mention the fan, I've thought hard about changing out to an electric fan just because of statements like you've said.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

This is a 331" motor in three different versions, two with a 2-bbl carb and one with a 4-bbl.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 383ci 1983 put 402hp and 398 lb/ft to the wheels when I dynoed my car. This was on 93 octane gas with a race demon 750 carb. Air/fuel ratio was 12.9 to 1

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I had my 406 dyno tuned. My first run was 358 to the rears. My timing was too far advanced. Backed it off to 36 total, on second pull it put out 397. I had BFG drag radials
on it. Took the BFGS off, and put street radials on it. Pulled 411. Jetting,
few adjustments 423. Would you think I would gain 14 hp from a tire change! Those tires stuck to that wheel like glue. But tuning on the dyno, can get you running at your maximum potential. It cost me 250.00 plus jets. It was worth it to me.:yes:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Had mine dynoed in the spring. Dead stock 327, Q Jet, dual exhaust. 196 hp, 245ft # torque.
I did absolutely nothing to mine, engine has ? miles on it. Well I know it has over 100k.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow some good numbers on this thread - makes me embarrassed to post my results. Not sure about the conversion from RWHP to engine HP (he claimed it was about 389 at the motor) but this is what he got - only revving up to 4900 instead of the 6K redline. We are going to test again after the brand new rear end and tranny are broken in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts