Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 Camaro with a 454 solid lifter LS6. I live in the Northeast. I installed a Vintage Air system this winter. Since then, no matter what thermostat I try it eventually overheats. I am running a large two core aluminum radiator, a 17 inch Derale fan. On a 75 to 80 degree day it will run, with the fan on, at 210 to 220. And that would be in normal traffic, not stop and go. Tonight it was 85 out and after 20 minutes on the highway it hit 230. I pulled off the highway to park in a garage and with the fan on, the temp hit 240 before I could stop. And all of this was without the AC on.

I would love to hear from anyone who has installed Vintage Air in a big block and has been successful in keeping their car cool. There must be quite a few who live in Florida or Texas that have a cool-ish running car. What are you running for a radiator and fan set up? What is your usual operating temperature? As another member posted just about an hour ago, I am also desperate. I would really like to be able to drive my car for more than 20 minutes. Thanks in advance, Willy

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
775 Posts
I dont have AC in my 68 BBC but know a few people that as soon as they installed AC with a BBC it overheats in traffic. One guy has his car in the shop and I was talking to the shop tech, he mentioned they make a high flow condensor that they will try, which has the tubes further apart so air can flow better. Havent heard anything yet

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a 68 Camaro with a 454 solid lifter LS6. I live in the Northeast. I installed a Vintage Air system this winter. Since then, no matter what thermostat I try it eventually overheats. I am running a large two core aluminum radiator, a 17 inch Derale fan. On a 75 to 80 degree day it will run, with the fan on, at 210 to 220. And that would be in normal traffic, not stop and go. Tonight it was 85 out and after 20 minutes on the highway it hit 230. I pulled off the highway to park in a garage and with the fan on, the temp hit 240 before I could stop. And all of this was without the AC on.

I would love to hear from anyone who has installed Vintage Air in a big block and has been successful in keeping their car cool. There must be quite a few who live in Florida or Texas that have a cool-ish running car. What are you running for a radiator and fan set up? What is your usual operating temperature? As another member posted just about an hour ago, I am also desperate. I would really like to be able to drive my car for more than 20 minutes. Thanks in advance, Willy
is that radiator equivalent to a 4 core copper brass?
is there a fan clutch?

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my quest for a more driveable car, I bought a '67 car with Vintage Air...and a big block for its torque and power. While I can't yet comment from much actual experience, if the car overheats, I'm going to strongly consider replacing the water pump with a version that has a higher volume flow rate (with the same pressure as current one). I'm assuming that would keep cooler fluid running through the engine. I'm also assuming that I don't have much to gain by replacing the radiator itself. However, I'm no expert on these matters. Please let us know of your continued experience and car modifications regarding this challenge. Thank you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also , sometimes the fan is not far enough into the shroud, if it’s manual fan. Not all radiators are created equal. I had a nascar daytona speedway radiator in my 68. Some cup car had the correct width To fit. Just had to weld brackets on. It was 5” thick, double pass.
Do you have hi flow waterpump? Pulley size correct? Smaller pump pulley it will spin faster at idle.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that radiator equivalent to a 4 core copper brass?
is there a fan clutch?
[/QUOTE
It has a long water pump, March Performance serpentine belt pulley kit. The car came with the radiator. It is aluminum. 2 core. Here are 3 recent pictures of the engine compartment. Thanks
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive battery
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive battery
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive battery

·
Registered
690 Posts
In my quest for a more driveable car, I bought a '67 car with Vintage Air...and a big block for its torque and power. While I can't yet comment from much actual experience, if the car overheats, I'm going to strongly consider replacing the water pump with a version that has a higher volume flow rate (with the same pressure as current one). I'm assuming that would keep cooler fluid running through the engine. I'm also assuming that I don't have much to gain by replacing the radiator itself. However, I'm no expert on these matters. Please let us know of your continued experience and car modifications regarding this challenge. Thank you.
That’s a lot of assumptions. Again, if a 454 with AC didn’t overheat in 1970, something or things are amiss on your car.
Don’t blame the Vintage Air-adjust your car to compensate for the extra heat
A clogged radiator?
A radiator that is undersized?
Old Coolant?
Fan cooling ability?
and 15 more possibilities

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s a lot of assumptions. Again, if a 454 with AC didn’t overheat in 1970, something or things are amiss on your car.
Don’t blame the Vintage Air-adjust your car to compensate for the extra heat
A clogged radiator?
A radiator that is undersized?
Old Coolant?
Fan cooling ability?
and 15 more possibilities
The radiator is not clogged, coolant is brand new. Fan moves 2400 cfm. Radiator is as big as can fit.

what I find interesting is that I asked who has Vintage Air and a big block with no cooling issues? So far no reply’s by anyone with this situation.

I talked to a very nice guy at Performance Rod and Customs in Boonville Indiana and he said the condenser should cover no more than 70% of the radiator core. Mine is more like 95% with the Vintage Air condenser. And he sells the exact sized radiator I have now, so I don't think a radiator change will help. =—

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I have a 540 BBC with Vintage air and I do not overheat. My set up: 160 degree thermostat, 23” dual 1 1/4” row Griffin aluminum radiator, stock factory GM pulleys for an AC car, stock factory big block fan shroud, stock factory 7 blade fan and thermostatic fan clutch, heavy duty parts store water pump, and plain old antifreeze 50/50 mix. Nothing exotic at all, just factory parts for my set up. I do have aluminum cylinder heads which may give me an advantage because aluminum dissipates heat faster than cast iron. My timing is 36 degrees all in with 18 degrees initial+ 10 degrees from vacuum advance delivered via manifold vacuum. FWIW, I cruised yesterday with my AC on for about two hours down hear in Florida. It was 95 out, so I am definitely putting my cooling system to the test. I believe that I have a very well matched system for my combo. I am a big fan of factory parts.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
775 Posts
Are you running a regular water pump or high volume? HV may be circulating the coolant too fast and cant keep fluid regulated. Just saying since you didnt mention that.

·
Vendor
165 Posts
There are plenty of easy solutions for your car heating up while sitting in traffic but if your car gets hotter when doing 30-40 mph, then you got more going on. Could be a lot of things.
1. water pump may not be working correctly
2. timing issue
3. Head gasket leak
4. Your WP pulley may be underdriven
5. Radiator could be clogged.
6. Radiator may not be big enough. How big iare the 2 rows? Is the radiator a 21" or 23" unit.
Those are the most obvious. Don't just throw a radiator at the problem just yet.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Are you running a regular water pump or high volume? HV may be circulating the coolant too fast and cant keep fluid regulated. Just saying since you didnt mention that.
Old wives tale. Not true.

Reactions: srode

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Interesting article but what smells in it is from the first sentence to the end, the market their product to be used. This has gone beyond any training I ever had in trade school and in the field.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts