Team Camaro Tech banner
221 - 240 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
I totally agree. I glued the gaskets to the pump, but didn't wait long enough to let the Permatex dry. The gasket slid, and I couldn't see it. But I'll get it put together tonight.
I had a very minor weeping on the PS of the water pump. I tried twice to fix it finally called FelPro tech support and the guy there said use the FelPro gaskets dry. I did and the leak was gone. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
I had a very minor weeping on the PS of the water pump. I tried twice to fix it finally called FelPro tech support and the guy there said use the FelPro gaskets dry. I did and the leak was gone. Go figure.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip. I coincidentally had FelPro gaskets. Installed them dry. Everything is together. I would have started the car last night, but it began to rain. Tonight I will finally get it running and see how everything works.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
Willy… I’ve got my fingers crossed for you bud! And if it’s a big success I might just follow suit. If you want to build a lower closeout baffle, I’m happy to share my drawings with you. I think it helps.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Willy… I’ve got my fingers crossed for you bud! And if it’s a big success I might just follow suit. If you want to build a lower closeout baffle, I’m happy to share my drawings with you. I think it helps.
Mike, thanks. I'm hoping I'll be leak free of ANY fluids. Looking forward to see how the new parts perform. I'd love to do the lower baffle. Coincidentally I got my upper closeout panel yesterday. I'll update tonight

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Just ran the car for about ten minutes. Everything was going fine until the lower radiator hose popped off the connection where the fan controller is screwed in. Letting it cool down.
The issue is the lower hose is 1 3/4 diameter and the connection is 1 1/2. I think. Is it a simple matter of tightening the clamp more?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just checked what I bought and says it's 1 3/4. So I guess I just need to tighten the clamp more.

That should not happen! Crossing my fingers for ya man. I am kinda stuck with my stuff right now - few unforeseen issues. You know the old saying if its not one thing its two =)

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
That should not happen! Crossing my fingers for ya man. I am kinda stuck with my stuff right now - few unforeseen issues. You know the old saying if its not one thing its two =)
I just tried clamping it on again. Slipped off. I'm going to clean the hose and the connection and put a little pipe seal on it and let it sit. Got the fan running full blast at one point. I put my hand in front of the condenser and I could feel it sucking the air through it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just tried clamping it on again. Slipped off. I'm going to clean the hose and the connection and put a little pipe seal on it and let it sit. Got the fan running full blast at one point. I put my hand in front of the condenser and I could feel it sucking the air through it.
When I do mine - I will for sure install that sensor in the Intake next to the thermostat! Man SOOO Close !!!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
I would get rid of it and move the sensor to the intake or thermostat housing. It’s already too much of a pain.
I think that the VA sensor has to be in the flow of the “cooled”
water leaving the radiator and going back into the pump & engine, but correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
The instructions call for the intake/Hot side of the engine. I think you are asking for trouble installing a 195 degree sensor on the cool side of the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
The instructions call for the intake/Hot side of the engine. I think you are asking for trouble installing a 195 degree sensor on the cool side of the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
interesting the Spal controllers I have used say on coolant leaving the radiator. Now I am confused. Willy, best follow the instructions with your controller.

Don

Reactions: Arkangel77

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
interesting the Spal controllers I have used say on coolant leaving the radiator. Now I am confused. Willy, best follow the instructions with your controller.

Don
I’m very confused. Where should I put the controller???

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
LOL… I wish we had at least one member with a carbureted BBC, Vintage Air, and this VA/Spal Monster mounted and functioning properly.
If the VA instructions were followed to the letter, the sensor would go in the intake manifold port, the one we normally use for our engine temp gauges. It’s kinda counter to everything we normally do, but yeah… if you want 195 degrees to trigger the monster to ON, you’ll probably see hotter coolant coming from the head. I guess you could not connect the bypass hose and put one of your sensors in that port?

221 - 240 of 288 Posts