Team Camaro Tech banner
241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
yeah. That’s what I’m goi g to do. But it will require some rewiring. And pulling the March belt system off to get at the lower hose clamp. I biggie.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
This is my fault. 🤬

Don

• Haha
Reactions: 57vette

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
GOOD NEWS. Finished up the wiring. Took it for a 10 minute ride. First I let it idle until it got to 180. Then went for a short drive with the AC on. It got up to 205, the fan came on and within a few minutes the temp came down to 190. The fan is very powerful. I'm going to let it sit for an hour. Check for leaks and then got for a longer ride.

·
Registered
709 Posts
MAN that is Awesome! Very excited to here this!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
GOOD NEWS. Finished up the wiring. Took it for a 10 minute ride. First I let it idle until it got to 180. Then went for a short drive with the AC on. It got up to 205, the fan came on and within a few minutes the temp came down to 190. The fan is very powerful. I'm going to let it sit for an hour. Check for leaks and then got for a longer ride.
Nice!!!! Outside temperature was?

·
Registered
709 Posts
About 88 and pretty humid
I am intrested to see what the temp runs at when you take a Longer trip. I thought I remember them saying your car would run about 20 degrees hotter than the selected Thermostate/Thermal controller you selected. I think I reember you saying you have the 195 controller in there. While I am happy with your results I am curious with how you are running 190? I assumed with the 195 controller in there we would see temps running 210 ish. I am sure I am misunderstanding something

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
I am intrested to see what the temp runs at when you take a Longer trip. I thought I remember them saying your car would run about 20 degrees hotter than the selected Thermostate/Thermal controller you selected. I think I reember you saying you have the 195 controller in there. While I am happy with your results I am curious with how you are running 190? I assumed with the 195 controller in there we would see temps running 210 ish. I am sure I am misunderstanding something
It was just a short drive. I’ll go out later today for a longer drive. I am not sure when the fan kicked in. But when it’s on it is pretty loud. I do have a switch on my console to manually turn on the fan. I’ll try to make better mental notes.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
I went for a 30 minute ride. Never went over 205, and 205 was when I was idling in a parking lot. I would say as I was driving, mostly 30 to 50 mph it never went over 200. The Fan functions as it is supposed to. It varies speed based on need. I wasn't sure it was working until I pulled over and opened the hood. It was on but not full speed. As I was idling, I turned on my manual toggle switch, which puts it on full power. At idle, I watched the temp go down from 205 to 188 in less than a minute or two. I was shocked. The temp outside was about 80 degrees, but not sunny. But the whole drive I had the AC on. I need to replace the lower radiator hose. As I was pulling in to my driveway I smelled coolant. That lower hose connection slipped off again. I'm just going to get a hose that will eliminate the sensor housing that I'm not using anymore. I will keep working on sealing the radiator support area. Overall very happy.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I went for a 30 minute ride. Never went over 205, and 205 was when I was idling in a parking lot. I would say as I was driving, mostly 30 to 50 mph it never went over 200. The Fan functions as it is supposed to. It varies speed based on need. I wasn't sure it was working until I pulled over and opened the hood. It was on but not full speed. As I was idling, I turned on my manual toggle switch, which puts it on full power. At idle, I watched the temp go down from 205 to 188 in less than a minute or two. I was shocked. The temp outside was about 80 degrees, but not sunny. But the whole drive I had the AC on. I need to replace the lower radiator hose. As I was pulling in to my driveway I smelled coolant. That lower hose connection slipped off again. I'm just going to get a hose that will eliminate the sensor housing that I'm not using anymore. I will keep working on sealing the radiator support area. Overall very happy.
Man sounds like that 195 setup is keeping the car around 200-205. I would like to see results from another test run when the temp outside is above 90 degrees. It really seems like that was the fix! I am supper excited for you. I will probably fallow your lead and get that same setup ordered next week after I finish with my turning session

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
Willy… the manual toggle switch you’ve mentioned, is it something VA included or gave you a schematic on how to rig? I’ve always thought a switch to power on the fan would be problematic unless it was done with a relay of some sort.
It’d be interesting to know when the fan is kicking on if you’re driving at 30 mph and faster or if that giant 19” hole behind the radiator is so unrestrictive that air is flowing nicely thru the condenser and the radiator. Sounds like your in the homestretch and the overheating is gonna be a memory.
‘When you have a chance, shoot a few pictures of the setup, I’m curious about how you mounted it and what the wiring looks like.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Willy… the manual toggle switch you’ve mentioned, is it something VA included or gave you a schematic on how to rig? I’ve always thought a switch to power on the fan would be problematic unless it was done with a relay of some sort.
It’d be interesting to know when the fan is kicking on if you’re driving at 30 mph and faster or if that giant 19” hole behind the radiator is so unrestrictive that air is flowing nicely thru the condenser and the radiator. Sounds like your in the homestretch and the overheating is gonna be a memory.
‘When you have a chance, shoot a few pictures of the setup, I’m curious about how you mounted it and what the wiring looks like.
Mike, I added my own wiring to the VA wiring sheet. The tech at VA instructed me on what wire to run the toggle switch on, blue. Note, you don't need to run a relay as shown, but for me it was easier since I already had the toggle switch and relay in place. And I also think it's easier to trigger a relay ON with a ground wire vs. a positive wire. And before I did it, I showed Don this and he agreed it was ok to do this way. Also, 30 and 86 wires are fused, but not shown.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
It’d be interesting to know when the fan is kicking on if you’re driving at 30 mph and faster or if that giant 19” hole behind the radiator is so unrestrictive that air is flowing nicely thru the condenser and the radiator.
Mike, it's hard to say when the fan is on or off, because most of the time it's not turning as maximum speed, so you don't hear it. But when you toggle on the fan the switch in the console it ramps up to full speed and it's pretty loud and powerful.
As you can see from the diagram the wiring is pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Man sounds like that 195 setup is keeping the car around 200-205. I would like to see results from another test run when the temp outside is above 90 degrees. It really seems like that was the fix! I am supper excited for you. I will probably fallow your lead and get that same setup ordered next week after I finish with my turning session
I am pretty excited. I don't want to get too excited, but I think this is the solution. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
!!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Thanks for the wiring tip. That will be really useful! I had the fan do the same thing to my truck! It even sucked some of the paint off of the hood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Willy68
241 - 260 of 288 Posts