Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the hardest time getting WOT on my '69 Z with a 383 stroker,Edelbrock Victor Jr. and a Holley 4150 DP set-up.Either my linkage is fubared somewhere going through the firewall or my linkage to the pedal is bent because I only have about 1/2-3/4 throttle and about 2-3" of travel on my pedal.

I am thinking of switching over to a Lokar-style cable linkage.Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?I'd love to see some pictures of cable linkage set-ups for a single 4BBL set-up.

Thanks again in advance...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I am thinking of switching over to a Lokar-style cable linkage.Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?I'd love to see some pictures of cable linkage set-ups for a single 4BBL set-up.

Thanks again in advance...:thumbsup:
I've posted these before, but here is the Lokar pdeal and cable on a 69 with Holley. It is super smooth.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I went through the same thing. One thing to check is where the lever arm attaches to the gas pedal assembly, down behind the valve cover. There is a pinch bolt there that you can tighten. Also, check the platic bracket that bolts to the firewall - those things can crack and screw it all up. As dennis said, they came fatory with rod linkage and Holley's, so it should work. Those cars used a lever to carb rod that had a bend in it. I couldn't use it due to interference with my TV cable bracket. What I finally wound up doing was to remove the gas pedal, and heat and bend the rod so that my pedal sticks up a bit further off the floor.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your '69 Z came with mechanical linkage from the pedal to the carb. All the performance models were this way. Are you running a Lokar or other aftermarket cable?
Dennis,

Stock GM Z/28 linkage.Thanks guys for all your advice and I really appreciate the pictures ZZ430,that looks exactly like what I need.Is it the universal kit as 1stgenCR suggested?

You guys are the best!:hurray:

·
Retired
26,981 Posts
Dennis,

Stock GM Z/28 linkage.Thanks guys for all your advice and I really appreciate the pictures ZZ430,that looks exactly like what I need.Is it the universal kit as 1stgenCR suggested?

You guys are the best!:hurray:
I think I mis-read your post John... If you keep your hard linkage make sure the gas pedal assembly is bolted to the floor/firewall securly. Also make sure you have the right throttle rod for the holley too. I don't remember exactly but I remember something about the reproduction ones needing more threads for adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Way back in 91, I went to the junk yard , found a Buick Apollo,(same as Nova) and got the cable linkage assembly, works great ,hope the cable never goes on me, as I should of got an extra cable as plenty of these cars around back then. Happy Motoring

·
21,058 Posts
I'm running the stock 1968 6 cylinder cable/pedal assembly... doesn't look at nice as the lokar.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running the stock 1968 6 cylinder cable/pedal assembly... doesn't look at nice as the lokar.
I thought about the 6-cyl cable since the 2x4 set-up runs it.

DjD,

My pedal isn't mounted to the floor like the '70Z-style...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have seen some linkage mounted in the wrong hole on the carb bracket.
That would change the pivot point, and can keep you from getting WOT.
I have been in every hole of that bracket and it makes no difference.Problem is the pedal is too close to the floor...not enough travel for some reason.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have been in every hole of that bracket and it makes no difference.Problem is the pedal is too close to the floor...not enough travel for some reason.
the Lokar pedal assembly I bought comes apart in the middle with a spline setup. You can mechanically tweak the distance from the floor by rotating the pedal on the spline.... thus moving it a spline at a time away from the floor. It's worked real well for me.... used in conjunction with the Lokar cable throttle cable assembly.

summit part # LOK-BAG6096

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys,I appreciate the responses...glad to know I'm not alone trying to achieve WOT with stock mechanical linkage.

I need to study my situation better,must be where it travels through the firewall.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Achieved WOT today...!

Have you figured out the problem?
Just bent the linkage by the pedal.I took it to a racecar buddy of mine and he saw it too...pedal too close to the floor.Studied it for a bit and then voila...WOT!:hurray: With my foot down all the way now,there is no further butterfly opening to be had.

Needless to say the car is now an animal.:yes: I'm in the secondaries now...can you say fuel usage?:D

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
ok as soon as i submitted it..I think I figured it out..Wide Open Throttle?? :clonk:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.