Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought OER windshield and back glass trim kits from Classic and had them powdercoated before installing them on my freshly painted 67. I had the glass guy put in new clips, etc. when he replaced the windshield and re-set the back glass.

Man, I am really disappointed in the fit! The lower trim piece for the windshield is too wide and the radiuses on the rear trim are off and ride against the paint. I'll shoot some pictures and post.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone recommend a manufacturer that makes decent fitting replacements? I want to fix this, but I definitely only want to do it one more time!

Thanks!

-Louie

·
Registered
87 Posts
Been there. We try to have originals polished if we can. Other option is test fit before paint and make the body fit the trim. I have seen original cars with original trim that does fit perfectly.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kelley,

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to dig out the old trim pieces and reuse them. I still cannot get over how genuinely bad aftermarket stuff is these days! When I went through my El Camino a few years ago you could still get GM trim pieces. You never appreciate how good you have it!

Thanks again!

-Louie

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The ones made by Classic Headquarters would be the only aftermarket ones I would use, fortunately good used one are not that hard to find, so I would use originals if at all possible

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Kelley,

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to dig out the old trim pieces and reuse them. I still cannot get over how genuinely bad aftermarket stuff is these days! When I went through my El Camino a few years ago you could still get GM trim pieces. You never appreciate how good you have it!

Thanks again!

-Louie
Louie, talk to any restorer or person who has been there many times and they will tell you the same thing, repro are junk or some similar words. Don't fit correctly, thinner, etc.... And as already mentioned it is very wise to use the pcs. for fit up check while doing body prep. I did and it was pretty good according to East Coast Muscle Cars but a little work was still performed. Get that orig. stuff out and get it polished if needed. Not that much more to have the orig stuff done compared to buying the repro trim.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

I realize now that I did everything @ss-backwards, so now I need to be creative in order to preserve my paint job.

I guess the worst case is that I try and score some good used ones online and go from there. I guess I could also look at switching to flush glass.

Thanks again,

-Louie

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with prior responses. We did a total resto with the absolute best talent and parts on my 68 RS/SS vert (all real orig car) and the ONLY thing
I was unhappy with was the rear trim around the window. Just did not fit.
Car is done so now we have to remove all that after the original parts are restored. Its a good thing I kept all that stuff. I tell the body men, never throw anything out!
midyearqueen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts