Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I was interested in running a (different) rear wing on my 67 Camaro. I currently run a universal wing that looks OK but I was interested in something a little larger with more surface area and better stability. What do you guys run and where can I find one? BTW, not interested in carbon fiber or anything exotic meaning $$$, just a nice aluminum piece. Anyone? Thanks! :D

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I hate to bring this up, but if it isn't a stock spoiler, it's NOT cool on our cars, IMHO!!

And I have an NOS '68 one in a box out in the garage that is going on my car as well as a cheap ABS re-pop of the stock front one b/c they weren't offered as options when i ordered my car in Oct., '66.

pdq67

Ps and btw, I think there were two in '69, a narrow, '67/'68 and early '69 and a wider '69 one later on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh man dont put a larger wing type spoiler on it! It would look terrible IMHO. You don't want anymore downforce in the back anyways, not without seriously increasing the front spoiler. Here is an article showing their lack of front downforce at speed. Typically with the stock spoilers the rear makes very good downforce while the the front will become so light near 170MPH that control is lost.

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/restoarchives/winter99/18-21camaro.pdf

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
American muscle don't get no rice wing. :noway:

Unless it burns nitro and has tires wider than most steam rollers and does 5.20's @ 250 mph. And the rice wing would disentergrage under vibration and air speed and take the trunk with it.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The only non stock spoiler that looks halfway decent on a Camaro is the 69 Trans-Am spoiler, and even then its an odd looking combo. Of course its to wide to fit on a 67 or 68 and would require some major rework to fit correctly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
dont ruin your camaro with a non stock spoiler. It's better to run NO spoiler/wing than an incorrect one. the aftermarket wings NEVER look right and only make people laugh. dont embarrass your car and subject it to public ridicule, think of your CARS feelings!

just an honest opinion!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahahahahahaha.....Guys, This is a race car. I know the NOS ones look (way) cool, but for a factory look. I just think that they'll produce too much drag. I know also that it takes a lot of mph for them to work at the top end too. I just like they way they look :thumbsup:
I'm getting a new paint job for my 67 and want to get something closer to a pro stock type. No ricer stuff here!!! I HATE the way those look!:noway:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the ed quay (i think) on my 68. Put it on there when I was in high school 15 years ago. I am pulling it off to put the original on. The painter actually has my car right now. PM me. I will see if I have some pics.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ok... considering you have a race car. the style of wing posted by Proz11 is acceptable. you just had me scared you were going to run one of those ricer X wings or something. the pro style wings are very at home on the right car/application. I bet your car is breathing a whole lot easier as well!:hurray: :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PROZ11, Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I like the looks of that one! Thanks for the info. I like the price and looks of that piece. I'll probably check out the Ed Quay and the S&W one Thanks for all the posts guys! I'll post pictures of the before and after the new paint job.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Ed Quay wings are about the best I've seen for nice affordable, functional wings you can buy complete. The 70 pro street Nova we raced had one on it, it worked for us, up to 174 mph, 7.70 in the 1/4 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Heres an old photo of the Nova with the Ed Quay wing, from behind. I could dig up others from the side if you want, I'd just have to look for them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would be great Sean if it wasn't too much trouble. Mark sent some great shots of the S&W wing on his Camaro. Both make my little, universal wing look like a toy! haha I noticed that you got the 4-support strut kit. Is it necessary? I was only running 2 struts with mine. I think they mentioned you could run them without any at all but recommended them for strength. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts