Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IVE GOT A 2006 TUNDRA AND IT HAS THE TIRE SENSOR'S FOR LOW AIR PRESSURE..AND, AS MOST OF YOU GUYS KNOW IF A TIRE DROPS PRESSURE THE LOW TIRE LIGHT WILL COME ON IN THE DASH AND YOU USUALLY HAVE TO CHECK ALL 5 TIRES TO SEE WHICH ONE IS LOW AND THEN ADDRESS THAT TIRE ISSUE..ALSO IF THE AIR TEMP DROPS OR RISE'S IT WILL TRIGGER THE LIGHT ON ALSO..HATE IT..LONG STORY SHORT I RUN THE NITRO IN ALL 5 OF MY TIRES AND HAVE THEM SET AT 37PSI AND THEY STAY AT 37PSI NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMP IS OUTSIDE OR HOW LONG IVE BEEN DRIVING..NOW IF MY LIGHT COMES ON I KNOW I GOT A NAIL IN IT AND NOT BECAUSE OF AIR TEMPS OUTSIDE OR DRIVE TIME AFFECTING IT!!!!..:beers:

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Re: Who runs nitro in thier wheels??

Regular air is 70% nitrogen, I can't see paying the money to have my tires filled with pure nitrogen, especially when i have a compressor in my garage.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Regular air is 70% nitrogen, I can't see paying the money to have my tires filled with pure nitrogen, especially when i have a compressor in my garage.
If you had a car with tire sensor's you would under stand! It's a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

Nitrogen is a more stable gas and doesn't expand like Oxygen does under heat. So you can get more consistent tire pressures, but that benefit is mostly for competition. A side benefit would be less corrosion for steel since there would be less moisture inside the rim. But most wheels are alloy these days...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

IVE GOT A 2006 TUNDRA AND IT HAS THE TIRE SENSOR'S FOR LOW AIR PRESSURE..AND, AS MOST OF YOU GUYS KNOW IF A TIRE DROPS PRESSURE THE LOW TIRE LIGHT WILL COME ON IN THE DASH AND YOU USUALLY HAVE TO CHECK ALL 5 TIRES TO SEE WHICH ONE IS LOW AND THEN ADDRESS THAT TIRE ISSUE..ALSO IF THE AIR TEMP DROPS OR RISE'S IT WILL TRIGGER THE LIGHT ON ALSO..HATE IT..LONG STORY SHORT I RUN THE NITRO IN ALL 5 OF MY TIRES AND HAVE THEM SET AT 37PSI AND THEY STAY AT 37PSI NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMP IS OUTSIDE OR HOW LONG IVE BEEN DRIVING..NOW IF MY LIGHT COMES ON I KNOW I GOT A NAIL IN IT AND NOT BECAUSE OF AIR TEMPS OUTSIDE OR DRIVE TIME AFFECTING IT!!!!..:beers:
That's the best reason to use nitrogen to inflate your tires.......stable pressure leads to better fuel economy and increased tread life. Thanks for sharing the info Bill :beers:.

David F.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts

thought of you this morning mr. bill. must have dipped well into the low 30's here last night and as sure as you posted about this, guess what idiot light came on all shiney and bright when i started the truck this morning!!! time to stop procrastinating and change over to the nitro.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

If you had a car with tire sensor's you would under stand! It's a pain in the butt!

I'm with Mark - I use what comes out of my tank at home... :thumbsup:
AND - I do have three vehicles with Air Sensors systems on them (two of which I get a report from GM every month on what the pressures actually are ;) )
It's no difference to me than just cheking them every month anyway - the problem was most 'non-car' folks didn't and it leads to lots of tire failures and wasted energy.
With self-service fuel there's no one to check them routinely anymore :sad:

The systems are required as standard on all SUV/SUC since like 2004 and are being phased into all others by 2010 - so best get used to them :yes:

·
Registered
34 Posts

We can all thank Ford and Firestone for their engineering failures on the older Explorers for the government forcing these waste of money TPMS systems on us

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thought of you this morning mr. Bill. Must have dipped well into the low 30's here last night and as sure as you posted about this, guess what idiot light came on all shiney and bright when i started the truck this morning!!! Time to stop procrastinating and change over to the nitro.
thats too funny!! You will be glad you did!!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

We can all thank Ford and Firestone for their engineering failures on the older Explorers for the government forcing these waste of money TPMS systems on us
Who do we blame for seat belts?

·
Registered
926 Posts

I know if I have a tire loosing air or, if it is low when I check it with an ingeiouse device called a tire pressure gauge. I don't need a $&%^$U&%^ idiot light to tell me that! The nitrogen in the tires thing is a big gimmicky way to get more of your money. When I see those green caps on customer cars in our shop I just think what a sucker. I don't like having to tell them that we can't inflate their tires because we do not have the nitorgern equip., and they will have to go back to the tire store that sold them that service. However, all that being said, I know they mfgr. cars with the LCD in mind these days. The owner/driver is less and less responsible for everything. Have a blowout cause your pos underinflated tire failed: sue the mfgr. of the vehicle. Drive into the *** end of somebody because you were staring at your nav. screen: sue Lexus because the foward radar failed. Cripes!

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Easy their chuck...what about the mother ,who runs her minivan to death and brings her van to a lube shop to get it checked over before a long trip and the mechanic doesnt check her air pressure when she got her oil change, meanwhile she has 3 kids screaming in the back all packed up and is drivng 75mph down the highway and just happens to look down at the dash and see's the low tire light on and pulls off the highway to a garage and has it fixed...boy, that light sure did save her from a roll over ..huh??

·
Registered
5,277 Posts

I personally don't own a vehicle with air pressure sensors. However, I was just reading a popular mechanics article talking about the two different types and a relearn procedure.

The first type is called indirect TMPS and uses the ABS wheel speed to detect tire rotation speeds. Unfortunately, if your tires aren't worn evenly you can get false pressure detection issues and there isn't much you can do about it other than reset it from the driver controls panel or using a scan tool.

Some vehicles have battery operated pressure sensors called direct reading TMPS in the wheel that transmit the tire pressure to the ECM. These have a relearn procedure you can do that goes something like this...
1) Place the ignition in the ACC position
2) Simultaiously press the keyless entry transmitter's lock and unlock buttons until a horn chirp is heard. The system will be in the learn mode.
3) Start with the LF tire. Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 5 to 8 seconds, then wait for the horn to beep. (The article isn't clear if increase/decrease means increase AND decrease or increase OR decrease the pressure). The horn beep can happen before the 5 to 8 seconds has elapsed or up to 30 seconds after.
4) After the horn chirp has sounded repeat step 3 of the next three sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR.
5) Once the relearn procedure is complete, the horn will chirp twice indicating that the relearn procedure is complete.

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts

So does the tire shop after mounting the tire onto the rim and have seated the beads, pull an evacuation to remove the atmosphere oxygen inside before applying nitrogen?

If the van blows a tire, Post 13, shame on the Lube Guy, part of vehicle checkout.

Light comes on when 20% loss of pressure from original 'set' pressure is detected.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So does the tire shop after mounting the tire onto the rim and have seated the beads, pull an evacuation to remove the atmosphere oxygen inside before applying nitrogen?

If the van blows a tire, Post 13, shame on the Lube Guy, part of vehicle checkout.

Light comes on when 20% loss of pressure from original 'set' pressure is detected.
YES THEY DO...VACUUM SUCKED..:hurray:

·
Registered
926 Posts

Easy their chuck...what about the mother ,who runs her minivan to death and brings her van to a lube shop to get it checked over before a long trip and the mechanic doesnt check her air pressure when she got her oil change, meanwhile she has 3 kids screaming in the back all packed up and is drivng 75mph down the highway and just happens to look down at the dash and see's the low tire light on and pulls off the highway to a garage and has it fixed...boy, that light sure did save her from a roll over ..huh??
OK, I'll give you that, assuming she sees the light and knows what it means. Hope the garage she finds has nitrogen to fill her tires back up. People like that often ignore those lights. How about educating people about the dangers of low tire pressure in driver's ed? BTW isn't the speed limit 70mph? Speeding, low tires, kids in the car-kinda scary, but oh so true.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

good point on educating todays youth in drivers ed..!! typo on the mph!! whoops..i wasnt implying that our test subject was speeding..!!

·
Retired
26,618 Posts

Are folks really being charged for nitrogen? We bought tires from Costco for the wife's car, they uses it on every tire they sell and it's not an additional cost. The wife goes by the place on occasion and they check and adjust the pressure for her no charge and would do the same for any tire with a green valve cap.

After getting the new tires mounted I asked about availability and was told air can be used if I want to top off or refill if I want but swing by any time and the shop would check the tires for us...

Until I read this thread I had never heard of anyone charging for nitrogen in place of air.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts