Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you guys using the force2 single muffler system? What do you think of it? How does it sound? Does the trunk area get real hot? Any comments good or bad would be appreciated. I'm ready to buy an exhaust system and this is the one I'm thinking about mainly for better ground clearance. Thanks, John

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ground clearance is great, it really tucks up in the tunnel. The kit fits very well, with the usual nice Flowmaster hangers.

The sound is quieter than the American Thunder of course, but still sounds great, not too quiet either.

Did not notice any trunk heat problems, it's very close to the rearend too.

This was on a 69 Camaro, 350HO, Dynomax coated headers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought the American thunder system was the only system flowmaster made for the 67-68's?

17129 headerback system with dual mufflers and factory located tailpipes.

17104 headerback system with single 80 series transverse muffler tialpipes exit rear.
...the 80 series transverse is listed as aggressive tone inside car and outside car (which is the loudest on the scale, shown on their website)
The above was what I found out through summit and flowmaster.

I've also been looking for a replacement system with single muffler, manifolds back though, and not obnoxiously loud. I currently have a system on order with stainlessworks.net
any advice is appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i have had the Flowmaster crossflow system on my Nova for 4 years now, and i like the sound. I HATE really loud cars, so that should say something. in Aug of '01 i replaced the Dynomax headers i originally put in with Hedman hedders and X-pipe, and it really mellowed it out at idle. it gets loud when i want it to, but at steady throttle it is easy to carry on a conversation at 80mph. ground clearance is awesome- the pipes are only about 1/2" lower than the floor boards at the lowest point, except for at the front where it hooks to the headers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just installed it on my car with Dynomax coated headers.I was surprised how loud it is.I was expecting it to be a little quieter. Ground clearance is great.I dont like the way the rear tailpipes come straight out in the back. You have to keep the tailpipe low enough so it doesnt hit the rear body panel,and it kind of looks bad from the side.It would have been nice if they put a little bend in them. But other than that it sounds great.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
My brother has the single muffle Flowmaster on his nova and it is loud both inside and outside the car. I like loud cars, but I don't know if I would use that system if I had an auto. When his car is in gear and idling, the tone inside the car kills my ears. If you put it in neutral its fine. I have the dual muffle system on my 69 with a 4 speed. It's not as loud, but still sounds nice. I know my brother has no clearance or heat problems, but he said filling the rear end up with gear oil can be a little bit of a pain. I lower my car and I don't have any clearance issues either with the dual mufflers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got it on my ragtop. Works fine when you shim the x-brace down with some washers and longer bolts. It will be louder than stock.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just plan on shimming down my x-brace also. I have welded in frame connectors also but do want to keep the x-brace too. I'm a little concerned about how loud some of you say it is. But then some say it is not that loud. According to the Summit catalog it is quieter than the american thunder system. I think I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
John-
You'll like the Force II system. It's not loud at all, but it's not stock either...

I've had both American Thunder and the Force II system (using the Force II right now). I like the Force II system better, no interior resonance, great ground clearance, and performance is always (well, almost always) better when the muffler is farther back in the exhaust system. Of course, that is a relative statement...

But anyway, you'll be pleased. It's more difficult to install, but not too bad. Take your time.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have the flowmaster 80 series transverse muffler and I think that it sounds great. When I was looking for mufflers I talked to flowmaster and they said that the 80 series was quieter than the 40 series. The muffler tucks up nicely between the rear axle and the gas tank....It does make it a pain to work on the diff though.

I hardly hear the exhaust....It just has a nice rumble when driving, although once when Stevo camaro drove my car and I followed I could tell that it's alot louder than it sounds inside the car especially when you put your foot in it. I have a 2004R and it is so nice because once you hit OD, the noise totally fades out and it sounds so quiet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts