Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont you hate it when you have an item for sale on a car forum and someone low balls the deal and asks for the item shipped for half the price! I have some corbeau CR1 seats with sliders for a 4th gen camaro for sale on two different late model sites and every time I get some one trying to rob me. When you look at it this way, Corbeau wants $399 each for the seats and the sliders are going to set you back like $80 each, then you have shipping from them for a grand total of around $1000 plus. I am offering them for a little more then half and people are asking if $400 shipped will do it, just because there is a small tear in the vinyl side area. Grrrr I hate some people.

Justin

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Justin,
Try not letting it bother you too much. Some people are looking for deals. Just tell them no and then explain to them just what you described in your post about what they cost new. You might get a return email saying that they will take them.
If that doesn't work you might want to try ebay. The forums are good but your item will get exposed to way more potential buyers there. You can also set a reserve.
Good luck,
Doug

·
Retired
26,948 Posts
Justin - Doug is right, and unless you are an actual business, free trade is all about bargining or what is called "horse trading" Even with business' like parts stores I ask for "nice guy discounts" and guess what? I usually get a break... Look how many folks post here asking for discount codes.

Just a quick comment on pricing, find out how much it would cost to repair the damage to your seats and you may find out that your asking price plus repair price plus shiping comes to about what the new ones would cost...

Have you listed them in the TC Classifieds yet? www.camaros.net/classifieds If your price is firm state so in the ad...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried pro-touring and that is where I got the worst offer. Problme is Im too fat to fit in the seats. I dont see how a small tear would cost over $100. We had an interior shop redo my moms acura legend in cream leather for $1300. He did the seats front/rear, console lid, and door panels. Im going to get an estimate. If its cheap enough to fix and this diet I am on works out I might juts keep em.

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Just throw them on E-bay. Everyone gets ridiculous money for thier stuff and there is no argument on shipping costs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Justin,
If you think that's bad, then don't ever try selling cars for a living! :eek:

In the car biz and related media, its the "evil car sales person" that you always hear about. However, to anyone who has ever tried to make an honest buck in automotive retail, there are stories about customers that would just floor you. You wanna talk about lies? Just spend two to four hours with someone test driving and negotiating, then you run their credit and find out they couldn't buy air! Its amazing how many "stories" you'll hear about missed payments, judgements, foreclosures, chargeoffs, collections, etc. (its ALWAYS somebody else's fault!) and then they always have some slam-dunk-thousands-below-cost deal from some "phantom dealer" somewhere. Oh yeah, and they are convinced you still have tons of "hidden money" somewhere in the deal, even if you give the car away with every incentive included! And we're not even talking about their gem of a trade-in.
So, yeah, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Justin, It's not just internet people, it's people in general. It's just the way it is. When I sell something I put what I feel is a more than fair price and make it clear no trades, offers, etc... firm means FIRM. I usually don't have any problems when I do it that way. If you don't make it clear they feel like they are at the swap meet or something.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Originally posted by Steve W:
Justin,
If you think that's bad, then don't ever try selling cars for a living! :eek:
Well said Steve.

Justin,

MOST people don't buy fixer-upper cars. MOST people don't want fixer-upper seats either. Just like used cars, you will get better money if the things you sell are ready to go. The people on this board actually work on their cars and enjoy it. We are the exception..... not the rule. I'm sure that you could sell your seats quicker and with less grief if they were repaired and ready to install. Just add the repair cost to what you are asking now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think everyone wants a deal and thats it.On Ebay people are forced to make a decision. I posted a 69 that I plan to part out on this site and I have been overwhelmed with emails. Im not complaining,the ad is definately working,but I jumped the gun on how much to ask for the parts.The only reason Im selling is to help pay for my "new" '68,so I need to get a fair price. Everyone wants the same items and Im staring to think Ebay would have been a better idea.I want to give a fair price and be fair to those who inquire,but how do you do that when you get 50+ emails within a day,and I havent a clue on how much to ask!

·
Retired
26,948 Posts
Originally posted by 67conv:
I think everyone wants a deal and thats it.On Ebay people are forced to make a decision. I posted a 69 that I plan to part out on this site and I have been overwhelmed with emails. Im not complaining,the ad is definately working,but I jumped the gun on how much to ask for the parts.The only reason Im selling is to help pay for my "new" '68,so I need to get a fair price. Everyone wants the same items and Im staring to think Ebay would have been a better idea.I want to give a fair price and be fair to those who inquire,but how do you do that when you get 50+ emails within a day,and I havent a clue on how much to ask!
Please don't take this wrong, it's just an observation and a lot of folks do fall in the same trap. How could someone not have any idea what to sell something for? The answer is as I see it, not wanting to sell something and finding out you could have gotten more for it. It's that simple. Greed makes folks indecisive, the thought of selling something and finding out you could have gotten an extra $20 just burns our butts!!

I find it's so easy to sell car parts, I know what I paid for them for the most part and I can find out if I don't by calling a salvage yard or parts store and asking for prices. I usually don't though, I just look at the item and pull a price out of the air. Sure I've eaten a couple dollars here and there and I've priced things too high and not sold them too. At that I wait a couple weeks and relist them with a lower price... Every new or used item I've ever offered for sale, I've know by the buyers reaction when my price could have been higher. No big deal, what I did get for the part is more than I had when it was taking up space in the garage.

So you see if you don't worry about cheating yourself out of a few dollars, selling off those old or new unneeded parts can be quick and easy and without stress. You may just make a friend too by passing on a great deal...

If you're the type that just can't and would kick yourself in the butt for a week if you sold something and later saw one like it for double the price then as suggested put it on e-bay with a reserve...

67conv - if I were you I'd set a price and reply one at a time to the buyers in the order they wrote you. Give each a chance to accept or decline, if after several they are all declining go back to the first and say make an offer. Accept or decline it and move to the next if needed...

I've pondered for a very long time why folks have such a hard time making decisions and what I posted here is the best I can come up with...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your right,Ive been keeping track of inquires by order recieved. Obviously I gave the wrong impression.Im not looking to squeeze everydime from each part,I just dont want to sell something for $20 and it be worth $100.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Dennis, I think you hit the nail on the head. I am much like you I usually sell things a little cheaper than "I could have" but, to me I would rather just sell it not haggle about it. I also agree whatever you get for what you are selling beats what it is bringing in, sitting in the way. You worded it very well that's what I was trying to say in my post, price it fair and it will sell. If you want every dime that something "may" bring then be prepared to haggle and get low balled.

Usually with used parts if they are in great condition I would ask 1/2 of what it costs new, the price goes down from there if the part is not in top condition. This is also my rule when buying a used part. Otherwise I will just buy it new.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Its just that people are afraid of paying too much, :eek: but they don't really know what "too much" is! All they know is they're not paying what you're asking. And so begins the dance...
The point is, everybody wants to be the hero, they all need to feel like they got "the deal", they all want to feel like they "got over" on someone. Everyone has that certain person in their circle (family, friends, co-workers) who is the "Deal King"-no matter what YOU bought, or what you paid, THEY coulda got one much better and for much less than you paid...blah blah blah!
I'm here to tell you that most of the time that guy is blowin' smoke. I've had people come into the dealership telling me that they want the same deal that Mr. so-and-so got...only to find out that Mr. so-and-so lied about his deal. I should know, I sold him the car! ;) But I do tell them that they get "bragging rights" with every car we sell...they can feel free to tell their friends whatever they want! And they do!
Nobody wants to feel like they paid too much. So, anytime they can (usually on real estate, cars, parts, anything where there's built-in "wiggle room") they come out a-swingin'. You usually don't see them at Safeway or Ralphs trying to negotiate with the checker on the price of milk or eggs, or somewhere were they might embarrass themselves by looking cheap-like the salon or upscale restaurant where they're throwin' the cash around to look like "players". I've actually had people who bought a used and abused BMW at "Beemers R Us" come to us for Beverly Hills BMW license plate frames. People are funny...and that's OK. But my advice is...if you want 100 bucks for something, you'd better start your asking price at 150 or so. And take dancing lessons. :D

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Steve I hear where you are coming from. Maybe I am an exception to the rule. When I go to buy a new car the first words out of my mouth are "what is the best you can do for me?" if it is more than I want to pay I walk, no questions asked. I know what the car is worth before I ever step on the lot.

I also don't do the "dance" when I sell something. If you want $100 for something make sure it's WORTH $100 and then you won't have a problem getting what you ask. The problem comes in when you ask $150 for something that is worth $75. You are right about "Mr. I Got Over" for this reason I don't tell people what I pay for things or sell things for, no matter what you paid too uch and didn't sell it for enough. The only people that need to know are the buyer and seller, if they are both happy then it was a good deal.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I agree with Camaroman7d, when I sell something I do my research and price it fairly but FIRM. I dont negotiate price. I have sold many cars trucks, boats, parts etc over the years with this approach. When questioned I simply say I believe what I am asking is very fair. If you can find (the item) in the same condition for less go for it. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
So what do you do when someone gives you a running driving F-250 Super cab with a 460/auto/dana 60 and you want to make a few bucks but not feel like your ripping off the buyers? Would you make the buyers pay the going rate or do you go half price of what stuff sells for? because I got it for free should I have to give the parts away?

·
Retired
26,948 Posts
Originally posted by ace841:
So what do you do when someone gives you a running driving F-250 Super cab with a 460/auto/dana 60 and you want to make a few bucks but not feel like your ripping off the buyers? Would you make the buyers pay the going rate or do you go half price of what stuff sells for? because I got it for free should I have to give the parts away?
I think you are being the devils advocate here Jeff, it's your right to get what you can for your possesions. The whole point of the direction the descussion headed in is why folks can't put a value on the items they own when they want to sell them. It relates back to the orig topic of people (buyers being cheap). Very basic rules apply from all perspectives. Buyers want a good no make that great deal! No bones about it folks flock to sales, discount codes and GP's for just that reason. For sellers you either price low for volume or quick sales. For max profit a sell has to be willing to sit it out and that means you're gonna get lots of "cheap" offers...

As for the gift truck, sell it cheap to a friend that could use a break and the 2 of you enjoy your good fortune. If you don't have a friend in need set a fair price and list it in the paper. If it doesn't sell re-think your fair price and relist it. If the first person that calls snaps it up don't even dwell on if you could have gotten more. The product went quick and you have cash in your hand you didn't have before the truck was signed over to you...

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Jeff, That is what Kelly Blue Book is for. I would also look in the paper and see what similar trucks are selling for. If it was free to you, the least you could do is sell it for a very attractive price. Honestly if it was a gift you should probably keep it or give it to a relative in need (we all have those).

·
Banned
321 Posts
Originally posted by ace841:
Get the most you can for it! Its the American way!!

I bought 55 acres of land on an island and re sold it 3 months later for more than double what i paid for it, was that dishonest? NO,it was the American way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.