Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so bare with me...I have a 1974 Camaro and First I replaced the headlight switch on the dash twice just to be sure the first wasn't a dud, replaced the dimmer switch on the floor and crimped new ends on the wires...checked every bulb...cleaned all connections and cleaned all grounds...now for the confusing part...I turn on my headlights and every things fine for about 10 to 15 minutes, then all the lights start flashing...they may flash slow a few times then fast a few times. There is no distinct pattern. Now while they are flashing if I unplug one head light the rest stay on steady...also my reverse lights stay on with the headlights. I have checked the wiring harness and didn't see any obvious signs of a short or ground. I was told the alternator could be the problem so I unplugged it and still 10 or 15 minutes pasted and the light show started. Ohhhh did I mention this happens weather the car is running or not. I would be thankful for any suggestions or solutions...Thanks a million!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the second gen wiring scheme but if it's anything like the first gen, you may be drawing too much through the circuit breaker for the lights, causing it to trip and reset. Unplug one bulb, and the draw is less, hence no tripping and resetting. Not sure about this, but it's my best guess...

·
Registered
247 Posts
check out the tech articles by Mark Hamilton of MAD Enterprises he talks about the current flow through light wiring circuit on our cars, also if you have changed your headlight bulbs to non stock halogen units it could be adding to you problem. check out the articles they are great resource.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I just re-read your concern... are you saying that when you turn your headlights on, the reverse lights come on with the headlights and go off when the headlights go off? That would be a bit unusual. When is the last time that your lights were working correctly?

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
If your reverse lights are staying on with the headlights there is a short in the harness as those circuits share nothing. I would be more inclined to think the column is turned to activate the B/U light switch when the key is on.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Sounds like your headlights need a relay. I bought this one for my 70 Z28 for my Hella H4 lights. http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/upd-34263. The only problem I had was the IP fuse blowing twice. I've had these lights since 1981 and decided that I want them to be brighter. I have not installed the kit yet cause I need to rig up fuses in place of the 2 fuseable link wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts