Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand it. Is Team Camaro a "car club"..... or maybe not ?

I came here over 10 years ago to meet people and connect with them at car shows, make friends, share our cars...

I made only 3 friends over that 10 years. One has died (Fred Ficarra), one has moved on and our moderator Everett I count as a friend -

unfortunately I've been close to where he and his wife live but couldn't get free from work to go and meet them.

My POINT is WHY when I click on a posters name, there is no location or info about them ?

It's very disappointing to me that everyone wants no contact from others on this forum.

Just venting.

But this is my belief why our forums are slowly dying. Everyone wants to be anonymous on the internet.

Reactions: 68Tiger

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Just plain lazyness on my profile. I'm in VA , and have met up with a handful of members here over the years to sell , or given away parts to help with their builds. I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Everyone wants to stay in their own protective circle. Easier than venturing out and meeting new people. I know two people with 1st gens and I worked with them until I retired from Gulfstream Aerospace. That unfortunately breaks off relationships for some odd reasons for some people. I also know 2 people with Corvairs one retired from Gulfstream and just got his Vair and my best friend with 4 Vairs.

I have not met anyone from south Georgia with a Camaro or a Corvair and continued a continuous friendship. I have see a few of the cars around the 50 mile radius. I don't think they get on the forums is my best guess.

I have a few friends with Vairs I met through Corvair functions/meetings I have attended. Haven't seen any locally Camaro clubs to join, so that avenue seems to be a dead end to meet semi-local people..

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
863 Posts

I came here over 10 years ago to meet people and connect with them at car shows, make friends, share our cars...

I made only 3 friends over that 10 years. One has died (Fred Ficarra), one has moved on and our moderator Everett I count as a friend -

unfortunately I've been close to where he and his wife live but couldn't get free from work to go and meet them.

My POINT is WHY when I click on a posters name, there is no location or info about them ?

It's very disappointing to me that everyone wants no contact from others on this forum.

Just venting.

But this is my belief why our forums are slowly dying. Everyone wants to be anonymous on the internet.
What is your name?

·
Registered
468 Posts
It is a false sense of security, as now you can go on the internet and find all of the personal information about almost everyone in the US, including address, age, criminal history, family members, and more. My brother in law even posted my social security number on a site, and I had to get it changed.
People are trying to avoid cyber thieves and telemarketers, but if you buy a new car or some other items you unknowingly agree to let them sell your personal information to telemarketers and other criminals. Subaru did it to us in 2014 and the warrantee thieves know the make, model, and serial number of the wife's Outback. We still get calls from them and others after 7 years, making our house phone almost worthless.
I would like to meet others in the hobby, but one has to be careful as there are those that you cannot trust and it is hard to tell until you are a victim. The best place I have found is Cars and Coffee events where you can get a feel for the honesty of some.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What is your name?
I like that post.

Can't complain about not meeting people if you want to stay anonymous. Post name and state you live in at least. In your signature, unless your job require anonymity. Also helps when you are seeking help.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Hmmm. 2 online articles on this topic this morning.... there must be a crisis brewing.
How many friends and/aquaintances do you have in your real, as opposed to virtual, world that have first gens as the hub?
To me Team Camaro is a remarkable online community. Knowledge is freely shared and all facets from survivor cars to extreme mods are representedand most seem to get along. It works.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,602 Posts
Organize an event. In 2006 a bunch of us organized and then participated in the "Run to the Rockies." Run to the Rockies We all met and got to know forum members from all over the country and had a great time over the course of about 5 days. The event was in Montana, but we had folks from Texas, California, Washington and Wisconsin.

So, if you want to meet forum members, organize an event.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that post.

Can't complain about not meeting people if you want to stay anonymous. Post name and state you live in at least. In your signature, unless your job require anonymity. Also helps when you are seeking help.
LOL, I was forced to change my handle years ago. I'm "Nashville Beth" on Team Chevelle.
Self explanatory.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
It use to show your location and real name (if you listed it) next to your screen name on the old format,
now you have to click the little picture you you want to see the user info.

·
Registered
292 Posts
OK. I guess it is the standard to be anonymous on Camaro forums.

Using PM messaging would be the way to get ahold of someone, if you need to find out where they are located. It would be up to them to consider revealing their location to you.

Very different in the Corvair family group. More people willing to list their address in a published mechanics list. So if you are having troubles on the road, you can call on one of them to see if they can help. But Camaros are so generic in regards to other Chevrolets, pretty much anyone (older generation mechanics) can repair them.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,317 Posts
Before the Camaro... I had a SVT Lightning pickup and was a member in 3-4 related Lightning forums. One in particular, Lightngrodder.com was the biggest and the best, its still going strong even though the guys that originally started it sold it off. Very tight kit group, and we had a number of sub-groups like a general Northeast group and a smaller New England group. For a while, we had once a year major "Mod Parties" where a member with a decent shop/garage with a lift would host 10-15 members each of whom would bring some food or liquid refreshments. Guys would bring along parts and sometimes specialized tools, and their individual skills and we'd work on a few of the trucks, either on the lift or in the driveway... changing superchargers, pulleys, exhaust systems, even rears. We also had one member in New Jersey who for 10 years hosted a Mega-Mod Party. Typically, there were 50-75 Lightnings and Harley trucks there and less work and more socializing. We had folks there from Maine to West Virginia. Many would come in convoys from their region. We also participated in a track rental day in NJ at ATCO, called it "Spookfest" where maybe 30 or more Northeast trucks would show up and have at it. Can't begin to tell you how much fun we had, every year we even had T-Shirts made celebrating the GTG. Here's some pix:

DSC_2871.JPG DSC_2868.JPG DSC_2890.JPG DSC_2874.JPG modparty-002.jpg DSC_2866.JPG DSC_2049.JPG Last-Mod-Party-T-Shirt.jpg

Vinnie was a single (divorced) guy who had neighbors who didn't mind this yearly influx. The rule was that there was no parking in the street, so he gave up his lawn and we parked on every available spot as tight as possible. Now this was the exception, but the smaller Mod Parties were great because 5 guys could get together and drop a trans, put in a stall converter, change out pads, troubleshoot stuff, and still take a break for lunch. Granted the SVT Lightning and its bigger cousin the Supercharged HD trucks were very limited production vehicles, which made the group very hard core, but it would be neat to have some regional GTGs like those for members of this forum.

Mike

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Your name and where you are is your own business.

If you want to make it public, fine. If you don't, that's fine too.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,317 Posts
One way to get closer to any kind of "local" GTGs is to add a "Regional Groups" section into the forum. Pretty simple, under that Main section you could have Regions like "Mid-Atlantic" "New England", "SoCal", "Mid West", "SouthEast", "NorthEast", or even states like "Texas", "Alaska", "Hawaii." Thats how we did it at LR.

The popularity and immediacy of Facebook has cooled the regional posts in the forum as they now use a FB Group called "Lightning Garage" but that's a terrible format to share information and how-to's. The the main sections of automotive forums are still the best at that. The sub-group idea is good to post local show, cruise nights, pleas (and offers) for local help LOL. I have no clue how many TC members are from New England and whereabouts in that region they actually are. Maybe its worth trying?

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts

Just venting.

Because if you are not anonymous you are bombarded with all kinds of advertising and political stuff. And if you deleted one they just send it to an associate else for bombardment. I'm easiest enough to find, born and raised in Houston 64 years lived in the same place for I think 33 years now and two blocks from where I lived for about 3 years before that. Same landline # and cell phone # for many years. Maybe I do need to get lost.
Another issue is with the car shows and clubs. The excellent meet we used to have disapeared when the organizer passed from emphysema and nobody took over. Started as a small show at a local Firestone, probably 50 cars. Went fine until the next door Fazollis restraunt complained about people parking in his lot not realising that they also ate at his restraunt. After we were run out he promptly went out of business. Moved to a local deserted Wallyworld until demolition then for a few weeks to a local JCI Grill and finally to a Sam's Warehouse until the organizer passed. Where di all the carss go. Don't see any of them anymore. Then there is "West Houston Muscle" mostly caters to newer Chryslers. They have a lot of events but for the most part don't have what I look for. My name usually appears but maybe only in posts not replies. Hi Beth, I'm Scott.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I did not know Fred had past, that just sucks.

·
20,510 Posts
I have been to a few bigger shows and met up with some of the members from here.
My work schedule really screws up my getting out near as much as I'd like.... and then add in Hunny-do's and family stuff 🙄

·
15,491 Posts
We have a Coffee and Cars in Vegas every Saturday and get at least 300 cars. Everything from Muscle Cars to Ferraris and Lambos along with everything in between. Model As to Lowriders.

Reactions: 57vette

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
One way to get closer to any kind of "local" GTGs is to add a "Regional Groups" section into the forum. Pretty simple, under that Main section you could have Regions like "Mid-Atlantic" "New England", "SoCal", "Mid West", "SouthEast", "NorthEast", or even states like "Texas", "Alaska", "Hawaii." Thats how we did it at LR.

View attachment 278360

The popularity and immediacy of Facebook has cooled the regional posts in the forum as they now use a FB Group called "Lightning Garage" but that's a terrible format to share information and how-to's. The the main sections of automotive forums are still the best at that. The sub-group idea is good to post local show, cruise nights, pleas (and offers) for local help LOL. I have no clue how many TC members are from New England and whereabouts in that region they actually are. Maybe its worth trying?

Mike
Mike this is a great idea. I like it. By the way, in case no one knows yet, my name is Brett. I live in Texas. I build Rockets. Maybe we will see one fly soon! 🚀 🚀 🚀 Oh, yeah. and I have a 69 SS396 Camaro!
Brett....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts