Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you have to dial in an aftemarket bell housing? I didn't think GM dialed there factory bell housings in did they?

·
Super Moderator
33,267 Posts
It helps keep the centerlines of the crankshaft and transmission in alignment. GM probably didn't 'center' the bellhousings on assembly.

The General's manufacturing process allowed the b/housing to be made in one 'sitting' on the machine therefore keeping the production tolerances to a mininum. Most aftermarket processes have the b/housing being moved from its original clamping to machine other surfaces. Hence, the machinist has to relocat the b/housing.

It certainly doesn't hurt to "dial-in" an OEM b/housing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You don't have to, just be ready to take the consiquences (sp) if you don't. I just did mine and it was a major pain but I felt it was well worth it when I was done. It has to be much better for the entire drive train if everything runs true. Just bite the bullet and do it...besides you will learn a lot

Dan.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I was just trying to figure out why the aftermarket b/housing wasn’t made with more accuracy. I do know the consequences.
I Installed an aftermarket b/housing a number of years ago only to get about 500 miles out of the clutch. At that time I had no idea that the even made offset pins. I now plan on using the original one.

Jerry

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you need pins, make sure you use the Moroso pins. The Lakewood pins are to short. Ask me how I know.

Dan.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Dont naturally assume that the aftermarket bellhousings are entirely at fault, ever think about what happens when you line bore or line hone a block? As only the caps are cut on the parting line, when the block is align bored or honed it moves the crankshaft centreline up towards the camshaft, also i have seen blocks were the rear flange is not 90 degrees to the crank centreline ( harder to repair as the block must be machined in a mill ) Makes a big differnce on the 4th gear ( input) dog teeth when they are centered. GM bellhousings are usually very close. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hello Everett, Yea i have been there ( at the drags ) for about 31 years, and still am. I have Blown up Lots of manual trans stuff, and i learned about bellhousing alignment 20 years ago after breaking lots of Liberty Pro Shifted gears. I now use a Lenco, but i still check the bellhousing alignment, trust me its worth it. ( $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and FRUSTRATION )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.