Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro and I just put in a 700-R4 tranny in it the other day and whether this has any thing to do with it I'm not sure. My alt. light came on but it's very dim. I checked the battery and it handles the load test ok. the Alt. it putting out 14 amps. I put in a new battery and when I started it up the light is still on. I have driven the car about 40 miles with the lights mostly on bright and the lights are as bright as every. Does anyone have any ideas for me.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. In my case it was simply a matter of the wire that leads from the alt to the battery having a loose connection. Tightened it up and fine since.

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
check connections at the Voltag Regulator and if you have not yet replaced it, replace it with electronic version Wells VR715 about $10 at most parts stores. Clean grounds and use star washers to make sure grounds are tight. Grounds cause most issues we see here in Elec. section .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked all my grounds, there ok. checked wire conections to the alt. it's ok battery not running is 12.6 and 14.5 running. I'm sure that something is grounded but where?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine did the same, go with the VR715 advice, took care of my idiot light issue. Except here it was about $25

·
Super Moderator
32,598 Posts
Reads like the feild relay in the VR is not energizing to turn off the GEN light.
White wire from the alt supplies relay power to close the relay.

If this is the case, alt has power on white wire, then VR is bad.
As suggested by Jim, Shane, and myself, get a Wells unit and plug and play.
RockAuto, a sponsor here, sells them reasonably.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally figured it out. The Diode Trio in the alt. was bad. Replaced the Trio and it works great. Thanks for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
32,598 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Internal regulated alternator.
Should have asked what alternator model you were running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts