Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just installing a new Booster and master cylinder and making a bracket to house the line Loc and adjustable proportioning valve, and was hoping to tidy up the hard lines.
Why is there always a loop in the hard line after the valve, can you do with out it, it would look a lot tidier if I didnt need to loop it

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It helps against work hardening I believe. Liquid lines that sit dangling without any brace will, overtime, become brittle and fail.

·
19,786 Posts
Was said to help on assembly line as said above...and I think for body/frame flex too ?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Gotta have a little loop in the line...it gives the brake fluid something fun to do when you hit the brakes!!..hahahaha..ita an assembly thing for flexability

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I ordered new stainless steal lines from RightSuff and they did not have the loop in them. They may look better, but they were a pain in the butt during install as they were a bit too long. I had to creatively bend them so they would shorten up. If they had the loop in them, the install would have been a breeze. I guess better too long than too short as I am not sure what I would have done.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I would expect the loops are there for thermal expansion/contraction reasons as well. Pipe curves are a lot more flexible than straight lines. If it were straight, it would probably crack overtime due to fatigue stress.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, as JohnZ says (our god) it was for ease of assembly. Little time had to be spent lining up fittings. Also, us kids used to look at the springs wrapped around the steel lines and talk smack about the springs being there for cooling when high performance racing. Yeah, right. The springs are there to keep the lines from kinking when tugged and bent to fit quickly on the production line. Kids,,,, Don't miss it.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
OK, now you guys got me worried. If the loops are there to support flex (which makes total sense to me), why do places like RightStuff sell non coiled lines? Am I setting myself up for future issues by running lines without coils?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
OK, now you guys got me worried. If the loops are there to support flex (which makes total sense to me), why do places like RightStuff sell non coiled lines? Am I setting myself up for future issues by running lines without coils?
Read the thread I linked, esp the post by JohnZ. He was there when these things were built. Put your mind at ease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts