Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted some time ago about my Camaro smelling of gas pretty bad. Most of us (including myself) assumed a carb problem was to blame.

However, I was showing Jane off (...my Camaro) to a guy in my unit who has a 2001 Mustang Cobra (he drooled appropriately). I even took him for a spin (he was in awe).

However, when I popped the hood and we were talking about the engine, I put my hand on the dizzy...it was loose. Sure, there was a dizzy clamp there, and the bolt was tight, but the clamp appeard to have been bent in such a way as to keep it in place and loose. The dizzy is something I'd never messed with (I don't get to work on her often as it is).

I can't figure out why the previous owner would have done such a thing. Now, she idled pretty ugly and smelled afoul with gas fumes, but when you hit the gas, she pushed you back in your seat appropriately.

Since, I've been working on the timing (and idle). I've almost got it down, though I know its a little off. She sounds better but has a bit less pull at top end and has a very slight run-on after she's been driven for a while. Nothing I shouldn't be able to take care of once I get the time to...

Anyone know why someone would leave the dizzy loose?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Previous owner probably tighten the crap out of it, not paying attention. Go down to a parts house and see if they have a mr gasket or something equivalent , put it on, before you tighten it, set timing, gonna guess as I don't know your specs, say 10-14° at the crank and call it good. Having some run on, I would guess your total timing is way up there, maybe why you impress the ford and your motor is running on ie, Uncle Buck's Buick.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Previous owner probably tighten the crap out of it, not paying attention. Go down to a parts house and see if they have a mr gasket or something equivalent , put it on, before you tighten it, set timing, gonna guess as I don't know your specs, say 10-14° at the crank and call it good.
Thanks Don. I'm at 10 now, I'm going to fiddle with it a little, maybe try 12, then 14 if no improvement.

I went and got a Mr. Gasket, it wouldn't fit well due to the intake manifold thats on there. I used the bolt, washer and lockwasher from the Mr. Gasket set and took a hammer to the old clamp. Woked perfectly. I kept the Mr. Gasket clamp, in the case there was any issue with re-using the old one. I'd just have to modify the new clamp to work.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Thanks Don. I'm at 10 now, I'm going to fiddle with it a little, maybe try 12, then 14 if no improvement.

I went and got a Mr. Gasket, it wouldn't fit well due to the intake manifold thats on there. I used the bolt, washer and lockwasher from the Mr. Gasket set and took a hammer to the old clamp. Woked perfectly. I kept the Mr. Gasket clamp, in the case there was any issue with re-using the old one. I'd just have to modify the new clamp to work.
Been there ,done that in the middle of nowhere. Over time you may need to replace it with a good heavy solid clamp, most are just flashy chrome plated tin.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Maybe the clamp was actually upside down?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the clamp was actually upside down?
No, it was on the right way. This particulare one was shaped like a "v" or a "Y"; it had two feet on the end with ribs to crasp the dizzy's flange. It was feet down, but not at enough of an arch for the feet to make proper contact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts