Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to see if I can widen my rally rims. Right now they are the stock 15"s so I think they are 7" wide? Theres so much room under there Id love to fit a wider tire under it. Where can I get them widened, and if so what is the biggest size I can go with and still have it clear?

Pretty much stock except for I will be putting in 2" Drop spindles up front and will lower the rear as well. Factory Front discs, rear drums but those will be discs next summer.

Or better yet are there wider rally wheels already available? OK one last one, biggest size tire to fit under there? I dont want staggered I want same front and rear.
I did go through the rim threads and sticky's and saw a ton of nice wheels, but I definitely want to stick with the stock look.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

·
Retired
26,659 Posts
8" wide up front without modifying/removing the inner fenders.. Good luck finding someone to cut and widen a wheel these days, the lawyers have most shops able to do it running the other way when you ask!

Also if you are doing rear disc's in the future save some money and get wheels that fit the disc's so you are not buying them twice!

As for wider tires, you can fit a 275/60 15 on a 15x7 wheel for the rear, having the right backspacing is the key to getting them to fit.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like keeping my stock 15x7's makes the most sense since I cant really fit anything bigger anyway without mods, which I dont want to do at all.

Dennis, can I fit 275/60/15 up fronts as well?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Corvette ralleys look exactly the same and are 15x8. They are easy to find. Whether or not they will fit on the front, I can't answer. That of course depends on what size tires you use.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like 245/60/15 in the rear will fit without issues and 225/60/15 up front then?
On 15x7's? Backspacers needed?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
235's up front and 255's in the rear are pretty safe. 15x8 wheel with 4.75" bs would be perfect.

15x8 Corvette Rally's have a 4" bs, so you would have to run a narrower tire to avoid rubbing. There are plenty of aftermarket Rally wheels with better backspacing.

·
Banned
753 Posts
I recently looked into this. There are only about three or four companies that do this. Corvette Rallys don't have the same backspace as Camaro Rallys. To widen a Camaro Rally or change the backspace of a wider Corvette Rally runs about $100 a wheel plus the expensive shipping cost. Go to Wheel Vintiques page in Jegs or Summit catalog. Brand new Rally wheel in the width and backspace you want. Do a forum search and you'll find many recommendations for big tire/wheel combos. I can't remember them all.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
It looks like this is as close as I can get:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-30-5834042/overview/

But its 4.5BS, so Id need a 1/4" spacer it sounds like?
No. If you add a 1/4" spacer you will have 4.25" bs. If you had a wheel with 5"bs, you could add 1/4" space to get to 4.75".

The less bs you have, the further the wheel sticks out. If you don't have enough bs, there's nothing you can do. If you have too much, you can add a spacer.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I get it now. I was visualizing it the wrong way. Thanks for the clarification. Brent, thank you for the link. Then those wheels will fit with 235's or I can get a 1/4" spacer and use 245's. Got it. If I went 225 up front I wouldnt need spacers.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just for one last sanity check before I order. :)

I can use these rims:
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-30-583405

For the rear Ill go 275/60/15 with a 1/4" Spacer
For the front Ill go 225/60/15 with no spacer

I plan on going with a 2" Front drop spindle kit

All this will work OK together?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
FWIW, I run an 18" setup, so I can't guarantee fit.

245/40/18 up front on 18x8 w/5"bs. They would rub on the inside if I didn't limit full lock to lock turns. I really think 235 is safer up front. I went 245 because I wanted the widest tire possible.

Rears are 275/40/18 on 18x9's w/5.25"bs.

I think 275's are a little wide for an 8" rim.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brent, *IF* (and thats a big if) my calculations are right then what Im proposing above should work. I think youre right with 235 being safer up front though. As for the rears, according to tire rack, 275's should fit OK on an 8" rim.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you want to stick with 15" rally rims use GM FW 15x7 up front and aftermarket (for Camaro) 15x8 out back, it's what I run. I use 235 60 15 in the front and 245 60 15 in the back, the 255 60 15 tires are a little too big for the rim and the wheel takes an hourglass shape.

Use Hotchkiss 2" drop springs in the front, NOT drop spindles (I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet).

If want to run a wider rim in back (the 235 60 15 setup is about maxed out in the front) like a 9 or 10 rim, you have to get a custom rim and pay attention to the backspace.

I did run some 16x9.5 inch (5" BS) Centerline five spoke Telestars equipped with Dunlop SP 8000 255 50’s in the back of another 67 Camaro and they looked/fit great.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Michael. Ill definitely check out the springs. should be easier than a spindle swap too. Just out of curiosity, why springs and not spindles?

As you can tell my goal here is the biggest rubber I can go with front and rear while still having the 'stock' look (rally rims). I dont mind getting new rims of different widths I guess at this point.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts