Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the widest tire I can fit on the back of my camaro, without mini tubing? I have all stock quarters with no flaring and 12 bolt rear with factory drums.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Most of your answer is here http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146928
It depends on what you want to do to get it to fit and how you car has weathered the last almost 40 years. The biggest combination I have seen is 295s on 10s BUT to get them to fit the 1/4 panel lip has to go. On the Foose Camaros they split the lip at the corner of the wheel opening front and rear and rolled the lip up until it was against the inside of the 1/4 panel. Besides that I think they also massaged the inside of the wheel house next to where the top of the tire would be. Other people have used a grinder to trim away most of the top of the lip on the 1/4 panel. If you don't want to force something to fit about the biggest that should work with little to no drama is a 275 on a 9.5 with 5.5 backspace. Sometimes even that combination will rub. I know that sounds like a cop out answer but we get back to all these cars are a little different and time and wear has not been as kind to all of them. Try to test fit something that is close or at the very least measure very carefully BOTH sides.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Actually that about covers it. Safely 275's with some work 295's or maybe 305's (but modifications have to be made)

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
I have 315/35/17 on mine with 17x9.5 and they don't rub or anything....fit great
Wow, your car is nice. What is the BS on those wheels?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Such a bland question....ride height has as much to do with it as anything. You can run 345's with air shocks(Wise Crack) or if you want it tucked up in the wheel well then that's a different story.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Such a bland question....ride height has as much to do with it as anything. You can run 345's with air shocks(Wise Crack) or if you want it tucked up in the wheel well then that's a different story.
That is true, I don't see how 315s would fit in the stock wheel wells unless the rear of car is sitting in the air.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Depends on what brand tires and the size of the rim to how they fit. The Sumitomo 315's really measure closer to 295's compared to Goodyear 315's. In that situation I could see them fitting.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
For the strip, here's my MT's. They are 26X11.5x16". They fit with no problems. Even clear the 3" exhaust. Sure, the lip is trimmed and the fenders are massaged a little, but it's a hotrod.:thumbsup: And the next slicks are gonna be on 15" rims. Yep, messed up. But these are producing 1.65 60's.:eek:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have 315/35/17 on mine with 17x9.5 and they don't rub or anything....fit great
Can you give some details? Do you have factory 1/4s? What's the ride height? Would you be able to post a picture taken from a similar angle as Fred Ficarra? I have an all original sheet metal '69 and I can't get the 275s on 9.5s to work. :(

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Depends on what brand tires and the size of the rim to how they fit. The Sumitomo 315's really measure closer to 295's compared to Goodyear 315's. In that situation I could see them fitting.

Nitto 555R's are the same way...

·
Registered
648 Posts
The tires are Sumitomo 315's. The car is on jack stands right now so the only pictures I have of it are older ones from in the summer. The car is not "jacked up". It is riding on Hotchkis lowering springs front and rear with their matched shocks! Nothing was done to the fender lips to make them fit either, they are not the originals but are Goodmarks that I didn't alter at all. The rearend is the has not been shortened but is out of a '69 which makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I have 285/40/18 and my next set will be 275/40/18 the 285 rub the inner wheel well when you go up a big off camber curb drive way. Rims are 9.5x18 with 5.5 back space.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have 285/40/18 and my next set will be 275/40/18 the 285 rub the inner wheel well when you go up a big off camber curb drive way. Rims are 9.5x18 with 5.5 back space.
I bet if you run a thin 1/4" spacer you'll cure that problem...:yes:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I had 28x12.5 M/T ET Streets on 15x8 Prostars with zero rubbing.

Jim

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I never tried it but i would think if i did then it might rub the rear fender lip...
Bet it doesn't.;)

If your suspension is firm,you can go as close as 1/2" or less to the outer fenders with no worries...it's the inner's you have to stay away from:yes:...buy a set of spacers and find out for yourself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts