Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was told that the leaf springs limit the width of the tire we can put on our cars. Is there anything other than a minitub kit which will allow a wider tire on our cars? Will eliminating the leaf springs allow for a wider tire? I have a 68. I do not want the tires to stick out. Also, what is the widest 17 or 18" tire that will fit on the stock setup? 275?
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Hey guys,
I was told that the leaf springs limit the width of the tire we can put on our cars. Is there anything other than a minitub kit which will allow a wider tire on our cars? Will eliminating the leaf springs allow for a wider tire? I have a 68. I do not want the tires to stick out. Also, what is the widest 17 or 18" tire that will fit on the stock setup? 275?
Thank you!!
Yes, a 275/45/17 or a 275/40/18 will fit if the backspacing is right on a stock setup.

I just put 275/40/18's on the back of my '67 on an 18x9 with 5.25" BS and they fit great. (leaf springs, no tub)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I did a mini-tub with my G-Bar, so I am not certain, but relocating the springs inboard should give you a bit more space depending. Just look at the location of your springs and then at your rear frame-rail, that should give you an indication of how much extra space.

If you haven't seen this thread, you might look at it, not that hard to do your own mini-tub:
The Novice's guide to mini-tubbing a 68-69 Camaro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts