Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a GM HEI fit my small block 67 camaro? Since I can't seem to get the Accel conversion kit to work,:confused: I'm thinking about an HEI. I've heard in the past it won't clear the firewall. Is this true?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Search "HEI fit" and start reading. Some combinations of frame stands and motor mounts will allow a big body HEI to slide in, others won't.

A quick check on your car is to take a tape measure reading from the center of your existing distributor to the firewall. If you have 2 3/4 inches at the tightest point (HEI cap is roughly 5 1/2 inches in diameter) it should fit. You need roughly 11/16 inches from the edge of your existing dist to the firewall.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if you have the 302 and 350 mounts- nope. not gonna fit.
if you have the 307 and 327 mounts, then, yup, it will fit.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
So if I put 327 mounts on my 350 an HEI dist. will fit without any firewall adjusting?? I had one before, but the guy I got the car from had to convince the firewall to accept it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My '68 had a 350 in it with an HEI, and the HEI was jammed so hard against the firewall it was impossible to adjust the timing. I have 327 stands, and the subframe appears to be about 3/8" forward of where it should be to center the body mounts. On the other hand, my subframe bushings were in pretty bad shape back when the HEI was in there which probably tilted the distributor toward the firewall a bit. I yanekd the HEI and put in an MSD 8360 long before I got around to replacing the subframe bushings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts