Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '72 small block car w/ a 4-speed. I am going to install a 454, will my clutch linkage(frame bracket,Z-bar & pivot ball) work the same as the small block set-up? If I need something else please let me know. Pictures for a reference would be nice if someone knows where I could see some. Thanks

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
If you use the correct big block frame pads the Z-bar will be too short; the big blocks are offset about an inch towards the passenger side of the car. If you use the current small block mounts and pads it would work. But then you'll get into header fitment issues as they're all made to clear with the correct offset big block mounts (unless you go with custom headers from Lemons, etc.)

Jody

·
Registered
142 Posts
Styx,my brother and I put a 540 into his second gen using the factory small block mounts, both frame and block. The small block z-bar fit perfectly as for headers, the Hooker Super comp
2-1/8 required minor clearancing. Nothing hits while driving, and the clutch disengages properly.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Don't know about 2nd gen, but it's probably similar to 1st gen. On 1st gen, the z bar is 9-1/2" long for b/b and 9" long for s/b. everything else is the same. You could make a 1/2" extension that attaches to the engine, and accepts the pivot ball, 9or possibly bend or shim the frame bracket 1/2" out. not sure if that messes up the geometry of the rods.

The lower clutch push rod is different for b/b, but for the life of me, I can't see why. The s/b has an "L" shaped piece on one end that attaches to the bell crank, which is bored and tapped for a threaded rod. The b/b has a threaded rod with a tapped block that has a pin on it that goes into the bell crank.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
a second gen doesn't have different mounts for big blocks than small blocks. it will drop right in using the stock mounts, and the Z bar will work just like on a small block. pretty easy swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts