Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a large flywheel for an 11" clutch fit both SB & BB? It is part number 3789733. Any idea what it orginally came on?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Will fit either sb or bb assuming it's a flywheel from the same era. Also, 400 sb's and 454's used externally balanced flywheels,...all others were neutrally balanced...make sure you're using the correct one for whatever engine you're working.

Lastly, with the 11 incher you'll need the starter with off-set mounting bolts and the bigger bellhousing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
That brings up an interesting question that I've been meaning to ask. I've noticed that some catalogues list BB and SB flywheels with the same #'s of teeth and the same balancing (ie: internal) but different part numbers between big and small blocks. What could the difference be?

·
11,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I'm going to use this big one on my 350 so I've listed it for sale. I was asked if it will work on a 454. Sounds like it needs to be the externally balanced kind. How do I determine if it is that kind and is there a way to tell what it came from by that part number? Where would I find that out?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Externally balanced ones are easy to identify just by looking at them from the back. The area close to the outer edge will have a large weight cast just in one place, about 4 or so inches in length. The internally balanced type will be about the same shape all the way around. Same is true for the required, matching harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
what was the stock sized flywheel/clutch? i dont want to use an offset starter they cost to damn much. is 10.5" the right one for a normal starter on a SBC?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Lo-Po V-8s, 6 cylinders, and the Z-28 got the 10.5 inch clutch and smaller flywheel. Hi-Po 350s got the 11 inch clutch.

In other words, both the 10.5 and 11 inch clutches were "stock" on SB Camaros.

I don't see any problems with the 10.5 set-up if that's what you already have. My car was originally a 307, so I have the small bellhousing. I am currently using a 10.5 inch clutch behind my supercharged engine.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
501 Posts
Or another way to look at it is...all V-8 first gens which were rated at 300 hp or more got the bigger 11" clutch. Anything less than 300 hp got the smaller 10.4" set up (including 302-Z's rated at 290 hp). If I'm not not mistaken, I believe the sixes got an even smaller clutch disk...9 incher? Someone set me straight.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Yup - L-6's used a 9-1/8" clutch with a straight-finger (not bent-finger like V8's had) diaphragm pressure plate.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah my 6 cyl had a 9" disc but a larger (I'm guessing 10.4") pressure plate. I put that clutch in no more than 5k miles ago and I was wondering if I could get by with using the plate and T/O bearing and just get a 10.4" disc but it sounds like the clutch plate is different even though the same size?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Winch,

the Center Force website shows the 6 cylinder pp and disc part numbers to be the same as the lo-po V-8 pp and disc. I bet you could make it fit.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to have them compare part #s for the PP when I buy a disc. That may have just saved me about $75. Great

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I won't because I'm going to use the smaller flywheel and bellhousing from my 6 cyl. I asked the question because I bought a larger flywheel before I knew it would require a different bellhousing and starter and now I want to sell it and I was asked if it would fit a 454. Wouldn't you know the only person interested in it so far can't use it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts