Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 69 firebird with sbc 383, i want to buy Air gap RPM and i'm not sure i will fit under the hood.

does it fit under 69 camaro stock hood?

i got an 800 cfm edelbrock, and a 14" diameter with 3" height.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
Had a flat hood w/ a Vic Jr and Holley 750dp ....no issues. Drop base filter worked fine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 69 Camaro with a 383 and the RPM air gap works just fine. Not a lot of extra room but yes it works fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have an Edelbrock performer rpm air-gap with a 1/2" spacer and it fits under the hood of my 69 camaro.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Mine fit with the Holley 750 vacuum but not with the 750 mechanical. This was with a 3x14 filter/drop base.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I’m certain I measured my old Performer 2 and compared it to the newer RPM Air Gap and they Spec’d to the same height – but that was a few years ago and I could be wrong.

Another thing I over looked, is that my 454 sits in a 70Z so the Hood Height is probably different – Sorry for the misinformation.

You can maximize the top of Carb to hood clearance by using say a 2" Drop Base Air Breather Plate and a 2.5 or 3" High Filter. I would not go less then 3/4" clearance between the Top of the Carb and Air Filter Top, then again it all depends oh whether the carb has a Choke Horn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts