Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 74 Nova with a power steering gear and a pump attached to a 250. Will the power steering unit fit on a Camaro or are they different?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
It should.. 69-74 Novas share the same subframe, suspension and steering components of 67-69 Camaros..

PS, good one on the 250 in the 68.. You know, good, clean, original 6 cylinder Camaros are probably rarer now than certain rare-optioned V8s.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
That's exactly what I got my setup from. I don't remeber the year but it was an early Nova. I had a hard time finding the 6 cyl pump bracket but the box, pump, and pitman arm are the same.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I posted this, I noticed many guys just go with a 3rd gen ps gear at around $200. Would it be worth it to me to pull this unit rather than just buying everything new from the auto parts store?

I also noticed it was mentioned that the later model unit gives a stiffer feel. I've done a conversion on my truck and really like the pinky steer feel it has. Would the Nova unit be comparable?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
6 cylinder PS pumps are different. You may have trouble with your belt alignment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, maybe I'll go get it. Not sure if I'll ever use it, but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
TJS69 said:
6 cylinder PS pumps are different. You may have trouble with your belt alignment.
I used the pump from my 6 cyl on a 350 I swapped into my 68. I did have to get a different pulley (and brackets of course) but the pump was OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts