Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It will work fine. We had a fight about it before but the only Qjet cars that I have seen that had return lines were cars with air. The second line came off of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
It will work fine with one fuel line as I'm sure thousands were built that way.

Oger continues to disseminate incorrect info.
All 300hp/350 & QJ/396s had the large filter with return line to the tank, not the fuel pump. This is shown in the Assembly Instruction Manual and numerous original road test photos. A/C had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I don't read manuals. The only Chev. that I have ever seen with a return line were cars with air. And they all came off the fuel pump small or big blocks.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I can tell.

If you are inclined to start reading, get a '69 Assembly manual. You will find what you need in section L34-35, pages B1 & B2. Or section L48 page A3. If you would rather look at pictures try Popular Hot Rodding, April 1969 page 23. No A/C, QJ with fuel filter & return line.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My first 69 was the 255 hp 350 with 4-speed. It had the q-jet with a fuel return line. No AC.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
C'mon guys don't fight.My 396 has, 325 horse has qjet, no AC and does have a return line

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Why are Camaros different from every other Chev. I am not saying you are wrong. I am stating what I have seen. Is there a reason they did it that way on Camaros and not any other car.

[This message has been edited by oger (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I looked for this in all of my 67-69 literature. It was evidently not used in 67-68. It is not shown in the 1969 or 1970 shop manuals, The only mention is in the 1969 New Product Training Manual. It states that Chevelle, Camaro and Nova with 350 or 396 engines would feature a "vapor return line" to the fuel tank. Not entirely accurate but that is all I found.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My 70 BB El Camino with air had the return line on the fuel pump. I looked at another without air it had none. I have no idea what Chev was up to but it looks like the Camaros had a vaper line coming out of the filter. Does your book show any other car with a filter in front of the Qjet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
think about it,(not to be sarcastic)if the car came with air (im asuming air pump)then it has emission equipment on it sooo the vaper return line is just another peice of emission equipment. right? or GM dod this because when the A/C kicks on the silinoid open the throttle a litlle more causing more polution so to please the EPA/GOVERNMENT they would put a return line on to cansel out the extra emissions. sound good ,but who the hell cares anyway ,just run the pig.

[This message has been edited by sldhd (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The 350/350, 396/325 and 396/350 hp has the return line as part of the QJ setup. It required a special fuel filter with the return line fitting. You'll be fine without it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.