Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Speedpro/TRW forged pistons hold up with 450 hp + 150 NOS in a BBC? I was thinking on Speedpros or SRP forged pistons. SRP forged pistons have more silicon than the average forged piston. Does that make them between forged and a hypereutectic? Which piston is better for NOS.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
It's my understanding that forged is better than hypers for the juice. Yes, the TRW forged will withstand the H.P. & shot.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have used Speed Pro pistons in my 427 with a 250 HP cheater with no problems at all. They were an L82 replacement piston with about 12.5:1 compression.

I have used hypereutectic pistons in small block applications (KB) and was under the understanding that they were ok to about 150HP max but the KB rep told me that they would use a specific nitrous pistion with a relocated pin.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i've got srp's in my smallblock, and allthough i hav'nt put juice to them yet, my machinist had a set in his 406, and he regularly squeezed 250 horse with them, in his 11 sec. blazer(2wd). they're a great piston, and i believe lighter than the trw's which is a good thing, thats why i chose them. just my .02

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I put SRP pistons in my 468. When they were putting my engine together, they were noticably lighter then the TRW pistons they were putting in another one and the builder said they went in alot esier. I don't really think they are that much more expensive. Jegs or Summit sells them now.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

·
Registered
106 Posts
the trw is a pretty durable piston, although
a little heavy. good moly ringset and accurate hone job along with quality head
gaskets and straight decks and you're good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts