Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I went to the car wash and I sprayed the wheels with eagle one wheel/tire cleaner before it went in because there was ALOT of brake dust on the wheels after I bedded them a few days ago. The car wash guy also sprayed something on the wheels also. Ive used this stuff numerous times on my painted wheels with no problems. This is first time Ive sprayed the calipers with it and it looks like this cleaner (or the car wash guys bottle) left a film on the caliper but only on one side.

I tried cleaning it by hand with a whole bunch of stuff (soap, goo gone, brake cleaner) but it wont come off. Any ideas?

I sent these pics to wilwood and Im waiting on their response. Anyone seen anything like this?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
That looks to me like acid etching. Maybe the guy had crap acid based wheel cleaner. If those are aluminum calipers which it looks like they are then that is pretty much permanent. I think sometimes you can polish it out of billet but I have no idea about that since it seems like it may be anodized. The Eagle One A2Z is supposed to be acid free but comes with this warning:

WARNING: DO NOT USE ON NON-FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS, MOTORCYCLE WHEELS, AND SOME ANODIZED WHEELS.

After marking up my motorcycle rims in much the same fashion, I've used nothing to clean rims other than just soap and water or Turtle Wax Nano wheel cleaner with a wheel brush on a WET wheel....Letting anything dry on them can be an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^yes they are aluminum. Black anodized

It wasnt the eagle one cleaner. Ive used it before without problems on the calipers and my painted wheels. It was whatever the car wash guy had. It was a purple liquid and he said "acid" but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until it was too late

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
^yes they are aluminum. Black anodized

It wasnt the eagle one cleaner. Ive used it before without problems on the calipers and my painted wheels. It was whatever the car wash guy had. It was a purple liquid and he said "acid" but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until it was too late

Sorry dude. That sucks. Maybe there is some recourse.

I think it can sometimes be polished out of aluminum but I have a feeling that polish might damage the anodizing.

I did find this on an anodized aluminum restoration page:

For heavily oxidized or pitted aluminum, START HERE and use Heavy Duty Cleaning Steps. If the aluminum is just faded, these steps can be skipped. Make sure that the surface is clean before application of the coating.

* Make up a paste (thin) with a "No-scratch" cleanser like BonAmi and water.
* Use an approved scrubber pad. A blue or white ScotchBrite pad works well. Synthetic Steel Wool pads by 3M work great.
* Rinse the aluminum with water. Cleaners should be applied to a wet surface.
* Dip the scrubber into the mixed no scratch cleanser and apply to the window extrusion.
* Scrub gently to remove oxidation, dirt and any mold etc.
* Rinse well, Do not let the cleansers dry on the surface, it will be more difficult to remove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts