Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like to see if anyone has experience a problem with the Wilwood front disc upgrade similar to what I am seeing.
The first step in the process (after deinstalling the drums) is to bolt the caliper bracket to the spindle. This is where I ran into the problem. The upper bolt supplied by Wilwood is .587 inch diameter BUT the threads on my spindle (drum spindle) are .500. The upper mounting hole on my spindles are the same size as the bolts that clump the speering arm to the spindle.
Anyone have a similar experience? Now I'm curious if the spindles I have are really for a 67-69 Camaro...??

Thanks all,
Chris

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I've just completed that conversion. The bolts supplied by Wilwood fit my spindles just fine.

Note that they supply 2 sets of hardware, depending on if you are using disk or drum spindles, but the bolts are the same diameter, just different lengths.

I just put a dial caliper on one of my original drum upper bolts, it's matching up with the .587" number.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick feedback, Jim!

Then it would seem I have the wrong spindles. This is the second strang instance I've seen with these spindles. The first was the length of the steering arms and the casting number s on them. They don't match up to any of the standard numbers or lengths.

Bottom line, I need to replace the spindles and steering arms. Unless anyone else has a better conclusion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more silly question... Did you mount the calipers facing toward the front or rear of the car?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
yup, rear.
for the back brakes, tho they all told me having both brakes behind the axle would clear the shocks fine cause the calipers are so small, I did use a recently released new part number kit for "staggered shocks" that mounts one side ahead of the axle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smaller up bolt hole was fine with the drum brakes that came on it. No way to use my Wilwood kit with that size bolt hole though.

Looking for a used set of spindles now..disc or drum doesn't matter.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts