Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 69 camaro convertible with manual windows I want to put down the door panels. How can you deinstall the window handle tu put the door panel down?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The window handle is held to the door with a spring clip. They make a tool that you just slide between the door panel and the window crank and it pushes the clip out. The tool should be availible at any auto parts store.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Not sure they will have that tool at every auto parts store in Austria.

It is very difficult to remove the handles without that tool. It really helps to see a handle off of a car to know what you are trying to do. You may be able to use a small hook to pop the retainer off.

Honda currently uses this same attaching system as do other manufacturers.

About your car: is from the US originally or was it made in Belgium?
Could you post the VIN and the trim tag information?

Thanks!!
[email protected]

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
The tool mentioned can be ordered through your favorite mail order. I know Year One and Rick's carry them. Ground Up would be your first stop and there is a link to their web site provide by Al on the home page of this site. or click here http://www.grounduppm.com/camaro.shtml to check it out.

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
www.fbody.com/members/topless69

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am a bodyman and I have the tool everyone above has mentioned. There is however another way to remove the window crank without the tool. On some newer cars the door panel will get damaged if you use this tool because the molded door panel won't allow a flat tool like that to contact the spring clip without tearing the door panel first. So what I came up with to not damage (the very expensive) newer door panels was to use a shop rag. You just simply take the shop rag (cloth) and rap it around the base of the window crank and work it back and forth till it grabs one or both ends of the clip (like toweling your back or neck after a shower) It might take some time to find the ends but once you feel it snag a little it should pop right out. Make sure to keep a eye out for that clip they can be easy to loose with or without the tool. Just thought this might help if you couldn't find the tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I will test it with some cloth. Kurt, my car is a originally from the USA, Norwood. It was imported to Austria in year 1975. I tell you the VIN as soon as I read it from my car.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The clip ends should be towards the knob end of the window crank. The rag method works good. It is cheap also. when you reinstall the crank install the clip ends toward the knob then the next time you want to remove the crank you won't go crazy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts