Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I first posted this query to the body shop forum. No responses as yet so I thought I would try the tech forum... here goes.

I need to replace the outer window pads in my 69. The outside of the window rubs against these pads and they appear to be glued to the metal surface on which they are mounted and are not adjustable. Not to be confused with the little pads that are mounted on the adjustable parts which rub the window on the inside. None of the usual sources seem to carry these parts as far as I can tell. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Conversely, what would be a good reasonable facsimile?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
If you are talking about the 2" wide sheet metal parts with cloth padding, attached to the outer door frame, they should not touch the window. When approaching full up position, they contact two semi-spherical plastic bumpers. My cloth was worn out, so I went to a shop that specializes in upholstry material, and they gave me a 3" wide strip of heavy velvet. I simply glued it to the sheetmetal pieces and re-installed them. Had to drop the window to access some of the screws.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your pads are sufficiently worn I would think there is potential for the window to rub on the metal surface to which the pad is glued.

Jim

·
Registered
68 SS Convertible, 383 EFI w/TPIS Mini Ram II, TKO 600, Aluminum flywheel, 3.31 12 bolt posi
274 Posts
I used part of a carrying strap off of a duffle type bag. You know, the webbed strap that goes over your shoulder. You could rob this off of many things, the wife's luggage, or purse, or the kid's backpack, etc.

I just cut the right length and glued it on in the place of the original.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your thinking, and with modern materials the fix should last a lot longer than the original.

Now to go find an unsuspecting piece of luggage.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts