Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions regarding the wiring for my windshield wiper and washer motor. My car was completely rewired using a Painless Wiring kit a few months ago. Everything turned out good except the wipers don't work.

I took it back and the tech worked on it and only got the low speed to work and since I didn't have my windshield washer stuff hooked up I didn't bother messing with testing that. It turns out the motor shot a puff of smoke and hasn't worked since.

Now the question. I plan to buy a new one, again, but I want to ensure it doesn't get fried again. How can I trace the wires? The connector that was on the wiper motor side is gone now. So I have four (maybe six?) loss wires hanging there.

Anyone in the Chicago area good at wiring/electrical want a little project?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

·
Registered
235 Posts
Some thoughts:
Is the correct fuse for the circuit in the fuse panel? A larger fuse may have let too much juice go to the wiper motor.

The engine harness has the wiper motor wires in it. You can get one for about $65 from the major restoration suppliers and put it in yourself. It plugs into the fire wall under the master cylinder & brake booster.

A wiring diagram is located in an assembly manual. A separate wiring diagram manual can be purchased alone for about $7.00., if you think you can do this yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a similar situation on my 67 with an aftermarket wiring harness. I spent a lot of time measuring resistances for the motor and the wiper switch. I ended up using trial and error. The first time the wipers only went slow and in the fast position it didn't work at all. I believe that I had to switch several wires around, but I got it to work. You could install a ballast resistior as a temporary voltage drop to keep from damaging the new motor while you are trying to figure it out.

Kent
67 SS 427

·
Registered
208 Posts
How easy or difficult was the Painless harness to install. Does it fit up under the dash neatly or is it a mess. I am considering getting one of these for my car. The harness that I have leaves much to be desired.

Kent

67 SS 427

1 - 6 of 6 Posts