Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 67 camaro has a new problem, when i start the car the generator light "GEN" stays dim in the instrument cluster after starting;

my winsheild wipers dont work, and when i turn the winsheild wiper switch to on low or high the generator light lights up solid and strong. im perplexed as to how the wiper motor and or wiper switch could have anything to do with the generator light in the instrument cluster?

im thinking i have a short, best case would be simply replace the switch and or wiper motor and see if this rules outthe problem but im not sure it will?

·
11,347 Posts
You have a ground leak. there should be black ground wire on all harnesses, if a harness (wiring between plugs) does not have a ground the current will find ground through lightbulbs. On 69s if the taillight ground is not good, the dash lights will light dimly. Make sure all your grounds are in place and well connected to the cars body (no paint underneath!) this a common problem on freshly restored and painted cars.

·
11,347 Posts
Wiper motors have 12V all the time, the switch completes the ground path (reverse of normal path), so if you have a harness not-grounded issue, it could be related. I posted a 69 wiper motor test diagram in the electrical section a long time ago, 67 and 68 should be similar, but the wire colors may not be the same.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiper motors have 12V all the time, the switch completes the ground path (reverse of normal path), so if you have a harness not-grounded issue, it could be related. I posted a 69 wiper motor test diagram in the electrical section a long time ago, 67 and 68 should be similar, but the wire colors may not be the same.
ok kevin i will check for grounding than replace the switch than motor i suppose in those steps
thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts