Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how windshield antenna's work? Do they simply pick the the frequency and bring it "closer" to the radio in order to play the station, or is there some connection running off of it that hooks up to your radio (like a normal antenna)?

Sorry for the ignorance, but just learned that my other car ('68 442) doesn't have an antenna hole and must have originally come with an antenna built in the windshield.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Can someone tell me how windshield antenna's work? Do they simply pick the the frequency and bring it "closer" to the radio in order to play the station, or is there some connection running off of it that hooks up to your radio (like a normal antenna)?

... but just learned that my other car ('68 442) doesn't have an antenna hole and must have originally come with an antenna built in the windshield.
They have a connection at the base that hooks into a cable that runs to the input on the radio (where the mast style antenna would hook up).

The first Olds I recall having a Windshield antenna was the 1971 model - so I doubt your's originally have one ;)
Pontiacs got them as early as some 1968 models - which makes sense as John Delorian invented it :thumbsup:
It always surprized me that Pontiac didn't offer them on the 1968 or 69 Firebird - I fiqure John would have pushed for it...
Chevrolet got them in 1970 on some models and almost everything had them by 1974.

If you decide to use one, be aware that you will need to tune the radio antenna trimmer to get the best reception from the windshield type.
It's a good idea anyway even if using the mast type ;)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. Yeah, in the past hour or so of research, I too discovered that I don't think Oldsmobiles had them until at least '70. So, I guess I have to make up my mind. Maybe I'll not put an antenna on it and go with the windshield--give the impression that it's a radio delete car. Might be kinda cool. Plus this way I don't have to attempt to find an original antenna unit. Not to mention, I had the guts of my original radio updated and will most likely listen to my iPod 95% of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts