Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a fair size chip driving home from cruise night. I have Grundy so windshield is covered but I have yet to contact them

?, should I get a bag of trim clips before I get it replaced?

IDK if I am missing any currently or some may be damaged in the process of replacing windshield

My guess is whoever Grundy uses may not have them, if needed, at the time of the swap.

Its a tinted re-pop windshield in the car now. It was factory equipped with front tinted windshield

Is there any particular brand/company of windshield I should insist on?

Any comments appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I have had good results with Pilkinton. Used quite a few. The clips shouldn't break, but who knows what will happen.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,590 Posts
Mine is tinted Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW). No complaints. My installer specializes in
classic cars and had the clips as needed. I would believe you can use any glass shop
you want. Not dictated by Grundy. I've had 3 I can recall (non classic) windshields replaced
over the years and always used a shop of my choosing.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Strongly recommend making sure whoever does the job under insurance plans to do the installation correctly, using urethane rather than butyl tape.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Whats wrong with butyl tape? I have used it on at least 20+ cars I have restored with no issues. The one I did not the trim did not it well.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Whats wrong with butyl tape? I have used it on at least 20+ cars I have restored with no issues. The one I did not the trim did not it well.
Butle will work, but does not meet FMVSS standards, and shops can't use it due to liability issues. Butyl does not provide the retention or structural rigidity of urethane. The factory never used butyl, they used pumpable Thiokol until urethane was introduced. I've never had a molding fit problem when urethane was used.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I have seen a lot of windshields installed with urethane that were a mess. Not saying it can’t be done well but if the installer doesn’t know what he is doing it’s too late once it’s installed....

I get the whole safety thing but these cars are hardly safe by today’s standards regardless of the windshield installation...

Don

Reactions: 69Z28

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chip "may" be repairable. Its about a dime size overall. The windshield otherwise is in very good condition as it has been replaced before.

Chip repairs I have seen before though are not 100% invisible so I am inclined to just have the windshield replaced.

I will ask the body shop who has done a few cars for me who they recommend for glass shop. I see adhesive tape was used vs urethane adhesive on the car now

I don't know if all the clips were used when the PO had the windshield installed but if it is like the rear, several were missing so I will confirm with whoever does it has the appropriate clips for the moldings should I need some

Appreciate the tips on PGW and Pilkinton brands

The windshield I have now is clear with blue tint stripe on top. Given the rest of the car glass is clear I doubt I would get the tinted and blue stripe versions

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
The chip "may" be repairable. Its about a dime size overall. The windshield otherwise is in very good condition as it has been replaced before.

Chip repairs I have seen before though are not 100% invisible so I am inclined to just have the windshield replaced.

I will ask the body shop who has done a few cars for me who they recommend for glass shop. I see adhesive tape was used vs urethane adhesive on the car now

I don't know if all the clips were used when the PO had the windshield installed but if it is like the rear, several were missing so I will confirm with whoever does it has the appropriate clips for the moldings should I need some

Appreciate the tips on PGW and Pilkinton brands

The windshield I have now is clear with blue tint stripe on top. Given the rest of the car glass is clear I doubt I would get the tinted and blue stripe versions

I had a chip like yours and Hagerty did not even question replacement. I use a glass shop with a tech that specializes in classic cars. Urethane is used and the results are not a mess. If you have a tinted top band, you will be covered for it. I get my clips locally from W&E or Auveco.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
It took me months of searching and countless dead ends to find an installer willing and ABLE to do classic cars, especially the rubber gasketed style. They are a disappearing breed in this part of the country.

Don

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I filed a insurance claim.

Grundy has shops they work with or I can use whoever I want. They connected me to a local body shop who does specialize in classic car restoration and they have a "glass guy". Spoke with the owner and he only uses American glass and typically PGW. They use Urethane and will have trim clips if needed.

IDK if the current windshield trim does have "all" the clips or not. The shop said they would get all new clips. Their only concern was if rust is present which I doubt but have never had the glass out. PO replaced wimdshield when car was painted last year. If the front is like the rear that was pristine as the rear deck panel is typical rust so ideally the front is in same condition.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
take some pics of the install!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,189 Posts
FYI -
My local Safelite Auto Glass shop has a guy that specializes in old classic cars.
He did a great job installing both my windshield and rear glass.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on further review....

So after speaking with the auto body shop the insurance company initially put me in touch with I did not get a good feeling about how they replace windshields as they farm out the job to a free lance mobile guy. Grundy, aka Philadelphia Ins Co, "prefers" Safelite but I can go anywhere.

I went to the local Safelite brick & morter and spoke with their lead installer (35 years) and he immediately said he has done dozens of 1st gens and was very specific about what screws come out to remove the front body panel and said he has the "right" clips should any be needed. He also said he would order Pilkington glass but it may take a few weeks to get which I have no problem with. He wants the car in the shop, not mobile service as he is the lead and does not do "house calls". Said it should take him 2-3 hrs to do.

Grundy had no problem assigning the claim to this location and advised I have a $0 deductible so no charge to me as they pay Safelite direct

As others on this thread advised make sure "the guy" knows WTF he is doing and this guy does so I am comfortable moving forward with him/Safelite.

I will update thread in a few weeks once the install is done.

BTW this guy said PGW glass is now made in China but Pilkington is USA made

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
good to know thanks!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I went to the local Safelite brick & morter and spoke with their lead installer (35 years) and he immediately said he has done dozens of 1st gens and was very specific about what screws come out to remove the front body panel and said he has the "right" clips should any be needed. He also said he would order Pilkington glass but it may take a few weeks to get which I have no problem with. He wants the car in the shop, not mobile service as he is the lead and does not do "house calls". Said it should take him 2-3 hrs to do.
I'm in the 805 too and need front and back glass installed. Which Safelite location does your your go to guy work at? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
14,699 Posts
I use Safelite too. There’s usually a go to guy in the shop for Classics.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts