Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the car together after several years. The wipers work but only stop in the up position vs the down regardless of when I turn them off?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
perhaps you attached the wiper motor to the wiper transmission 180 degrees off.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I’ve got the same issue, no mechanical parts have been disconnected. I have replaced the main underdash harness as well as the engine and headlamp harness. Before the wiring was a serious hack job and the wipers just stopped where they were when you turned them off. I figured out the wires, got them so I have both high and low speed but when you turn them off, they return to the up position for home. Ideas?

·
Registered
483 Posts
No, no mechanical parts were removed replaced or worked on. Just new wire harnesses. From what little bit I've been able to figure out from other posts I think it might be internal on the motor or maybe the motor isn't grounded good enough but I don't know how to check.

·
11,345 Posts
Brandon, there is a small embossed line on the drivers side of the back of the wiper motor that points to the drivers side when mounted. That is your alignment mark. Validate the motor is in park position, by turning on the motor without the trans, but with the arm, when you turn on the wipers, then shut them off after 1/4 turn, the arm should complete the full circle and park over that line (pointing to the driver side). If the motor just stops when you turn off the wipers not over the mark, then your park circuit is not working, which is most likely grounding issues.

If the parking is working, but just not over the alignment mark, remove the arm, re-install over alignment mark, retest. After the motor consistantly park successfully, install the trans, but not the wipers. put a small peice of tape on the wiper hubs to replicate the wiper arms. run through some tests to make sure the wiper arms follow the correct path. If not you had the trans mounted incorrectly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks Kevin. Iirc, before I replaced the messed up wires I only had one speed and they just stopped wherever they were when you turned them off. Now, I figured out the wiring to get hi and low speed but now, when you turn them off, they complete whatever cycle they are in and return to the full upright position. I took a quick look and couldn't see the mark you are referring to, I'll have to go look closer later. I hate to be too dense here but I've never messed with one of these before, when you say to turn on the motor without the trans how do I do that?

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Okay, here is the back side of the wiper motor. The lines the red arrow is pointing to are horizontal so the blue arrowed line is obviously vertical. A little more detail, when I turn off the wipers they complete the cycle and “home” straight up, they don’t go all the way to the end of the up cycle, make sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
another thing that may help it make sense,if you turn the wipers off a the end of the up-stroke, they don't just move back to the 90 degree vertical position, they move back past that, clear to the bottom (the correct home position) then back up to 90 degree's vertical

·
Registered
483 Posts
Got it. It run s the right cycle but one of the arms rubs at one point under the cowl so there is an intermittent squeak. I've looked and can see no way, short of removing the cowl, to track it down. I guess I'm lazy, but where this isn't a show room restore, where other things aren't perfect, where I won't be driving it in the rain a lot, I'm really tempted to say to hell with it and just not worry about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts