Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter Project Continues Into Spring.......Yes, I'm Still Not Done!!! Need Advice!!!

Well my Winter Project has continued into Spring. I had to put it on hold for a month or so. I descided to move from a big house w/ 2 roommates to a smaller place but by myself. I just couldn't handle living with roommates and having no privacy. So my spare time i'd normaly use to work on my cars, I used to find a new residence, plus furniture, lots of stuff. So now that i'm all settled in at my new place, I can get back to finishing my new interior. :hurray:

I have all the parts I need. New kick panels, complete hardware kit for the interior, headliner, carpet, lots of stuff. I just have to finish laying down the Fat Mat on the floor, and it should go smoothly from there.

But, i've ran into one issue with the Fat Mat. The layer I applied on the roof fell off! I thought I had it on there firm enough for it to stay put. But I guess not. I guess maybe the weight of the Fat Mat won't alllow it to stick well enough, so I need another lighter weight alternative. Something maybe with a spray adhesive, as much as I don't wanna use it. Any suggestions is appreciated. It pains me to have all this great weather and can't drive my car around! :(

Jason :beers:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Winter Project Continues Into Spring.......Yes, I'm Still Not Done!!! Need Advice

i have had problems with insulating the roof also. it seams no matter hor well stuck it seems as soon as it gets real hot it falls down. keep in mind this is a black car the roof gets very hot from sun. i gave up and just put in the headliner couldn't stand the idea of something coming loose down the road.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Re: Winter Project Continues Into Spring.......Yes, I'm Still Not Done!!! Need Advice

My Fat Mat is on really good on the roof area. Maybe yours wasnt clean enough. I hope in the future mine stays in place.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My Fat Mat is on really good on the roof area. Maybe yours wasnt clean enough. I hope in the future mine stays in place.
Before I put the Fat Mat on, I sprayed the whole interior with Lizard Skin. So it went right over a fresh clean layer of that. When I first put it on it felt like it was on there good. I guess from the heat it loosened up.

But I can say, after driving the car finally after spraying the Lizard Skin & Fat Mat on the floor, it made a pretty big difference with the heat. The interior is still out, I just bolted up one seat and drove it to my new place. So no carpet, and the tranny tunnel and floor was no where near as hot as it got before. So that's a good sign. The roof is not as big an issue as the floor, so hopefully a lighter weight insulation will do the job.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts

I put 1/2" Rubatex on my roof that I got from an industrial insulation distributor. It's a neoprene foam sheet. Installed in 3-4 pieces- can't remember, and I made a newspaper pattern for each one. I used the adhesive recommended by the manufacturer that's intended for hot industrial environments. My car is Fathom, so it absorbs alot of heat, too, and after 4 years, no sign of peeling off.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I had a similar problem installing FatMat. I found that if I heated the FatMat with a heat gun after I put it in place and then used the roller to apply the pressure, it never fell down again. I also used this trick to install it on the backside of the door skins and in the trunk on the inside of the quarter panels. I have a black vinyl top and after 2 years, I've had no problems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Unreal & rcatalano:

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup: I think i'm gonna look into a lighter weight insulation like Unreal suggested. I am gonna use the heat gun method for the inside of the doors, fender wells, etc. I need to get on it, Spring time is upon us, and it's time to reassemble my ride. Moving set me back big time. Good thing I have all the parts, I just need to have my seats recovered and i'll be good to go. Thanks again! :beers:

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts

my buddy insultaed his roof and was sorry he did.
why you ask?
condensation built up and he had to redo the roof .
the entire area was rusted so bad it pitted the metal through to the outside.
my advice is let the roof breath dont put insulation up there.
the factory didnt do it for that reason.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

my buddy insultaed his roof and was sorry he did.
why you ask?
condensation built up and he had to redo the roof .
the entire area was rusted so bad it pitted the metal through to the outside.
my advice is let the roof breath dont put insulation up there.
the factory didnt do it for that reason.
The factory did insulate the roof. I know cause I scrapped it all off before I sprayed the Lizard Skin. It was a brown bread type stuff that was glued to the roof. And there was some surface rust behind it, nothing major though.

I can see what you mean about condensation building up. I used a Rust Preventative Primer, and sprayed Lizard Skin over that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts