Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I usually keep about a 50/50 mix of some 110 octane racing fuel and Phillips 93 octane unleaded. I have been using some of the Stabile fuel stabilizer during winter storage.

I have found that after sitting for a while and gas evaporates from the carb that when started the jets seem gummed-up and it runs terrible. If I keep it running until the engine is warm, but not hot, and then let it sit for a bit, the new gas seems to dissolve the residue and it runs fine again.

So my questions are: Is it the stabilizer that is gumming things up? Is there a better additive than Stabile for winter storage? Do I actually need something like that? Would a can of Heet keep any moisture out or would Heet itself cause damage sitting in the tank all winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I dont know if I can answer any of your questions but I can tell you my experiences. We have long winters up here and my 68 sits for 6 months easy. I usually use Stabil for storage and always run non ethanol fuel. I have had years when I didn't put any stabilizer in at all and she started right up and ran well in the spring. My shop is heated though but I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Winter? What's that?
Personally I try to drain the carb if for long storage because it is open to atmosphere through the vents. Had more problems with the boat. Six weeks of non use and the injector pump is toast.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Try pulling the line off the pump infeed and running the carb empty, or just pull the carb and empty it. Evaporated gas leaves varnish, no way around it.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
last year I was running 93 corn gas. when I parked it, I shut the fuel off and run the carb dry. when I went to start it this spring it missed terrible for about 3 tanks of 100 octane gas then it smoothed out.
good luck with what you decide to do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts