Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I have an electric fuel pump with a cut off switch under the dash.
The car will be laid up for about the next 5 months due to winter.
I have put stabilizer in the gas tank and filled it.
My question is, should I cut off the electric fuel pump and allow the carb to run out of gas, or should I just shut off the car with gas in the carb.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Good question. I winterized my motorcyle one year and drained the carbs for good measure. When I went to use it next spring, they were so varnished up that the floats were stuck. The float bowls were full of white powder and yuck. I alwasy thought after that I would put stabilizer in, run the motor until the fuel bowl was full of stabilized gas and leave it. I suspect that even stabilizer can evaporate and leave the same mess. Not sure.

If I were storing for longer than a few months, I would be inclined to drain the carberator, remove the bowls and blast them with WD-40 or something until they were wet. Perhaps that would prevent the varnish buildup. Might be good for the jets / air bleeds etc. also. Silicon spray would be better for the gaskets, diaphrams, and other rubber components. Old Holley fuel pump diaphrams will turn to a concrete-like substance after setting dry for long periods of time.

-dnult

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm with dnult on this one. Take out one bottom bowl screw on both bowls and drain the gas out. You can either take off the bowls and fog everything real well with WD40 or spray right into the vent tube. Also spray into all of the air bleeds, and hit all the air bleeds with a shot of air before you fire your car up.With my own car this fuel thing is a constant battle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What the heck is winterizing? Never mind, gotta run. My girlfriend has the camaro loaded and waiting for me. We're heading to the beach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts