Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched TC site here, but never found a thread actually talking about the snowflake itself.

Topic: Snowflake design, placement, and impression depth::

I am seeing differences in the actual snowflake marking, and hoping you guys can shed some light. Maybe the foundry changed their die throughout the years?

I have two intakes to compare. One is mine, sitting on my floor here with me (unused, i know!). It is a part # GM 3933163, BBC aluminum. It has a date code underneath showing 3.3.69, and the number 5183 directly below that datecode. The snowflake is down on the #1 cylinder port. Here is a pic of the snowflake on this manifold:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=18j7e8&s=4

Now I'm also looking at a intake this guy has on his motor (for sale), which shows a more prominent perimeter to the snowflake. With this one, the snowflake is up high on #2 cylinder port (just in front of the carb):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28rjvc8&s=4

Can you guys comment on the design, the depth of the snowflake impression, and the placement?

I also see that Classic Industries sells a 68-69 396/375 repro "snowflake" intake manifold for $330, part # 14964, on page 700 of our most recent catalog. The snowflake they have is down on cyl #1 port,... like mine.

Thanks!
=Steve

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
What's the concern? Winters made thousands of "snowflake" castings every day, from dozens of different patterns (which had the snowflake), which created hundreds of one-time-use sand molds; there were plenty of variations - very common in 60's foundry operations.

:beers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No "concern". At least not from me. Curiosity since this is the first I'm "checking out the foundry markings". I think the history is cool.

So it sounds like "all" the different snowflake designs are original, accurate & historically correct. Wonder how many different ones there were.....

Thanks for the reply though. Just thought maybe there was more to it.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
The intake with the snowflake on the outer end of the runner is an earlier casting. The snowflake up near the carb mount is most likely a late 80's or newer casting. Thats why people in the know get big bucks for things that seem common to others..... Little things like that make a lot of difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jon.
And since Classic Industries is selling a Alum intake with the snowflake down low on the runner (plus the impression is very similar to my '69 intake), I guess its hard for folks (or even judges) to tell whether it is original stuff, when it's mounted on a running engine. Only way I can see is to turn it over and check the datecode.
Thanks again. Interesting stuff.
=S

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a alum. snowflake intake on my 327. The snowflake is located in front of the thermastate / water inlet. I have no idea how old it is. It was on my 1968 Camaro when I bought it. It also has Holley casted on the # 1 cylinder side.
Ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts