Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 camaro wiper motor runs fine quiet and smooth
when I push in on the spray button I get 12 volts to the motor and it sounds like a relay click in the box some where but no water pumps up.
Any way to check it and what actually pumps the water up from the bottle.
hoses are fine clear thru cleaner in bottle just clicks and no spray.
Checked the switch like I said it emits 12v when compressed but just a click sound.
Any help would be great
Thanks

69 camaro ZWANNA B L1 427 DEMON 850 EDELBROCK STREETMASTER MSD6AL MSD DISTRIB AND BLASTER 2 COIL LUNATI CAM HOOKERS T400 B&M KIT 12 BOLT...YADA,YADA,YADA!!

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
You can buy a rebuild kit at most auto parts stores for the washer pump.
Kit includes all the parts to make it work right again.
I buy them all the time.
Auto Zone is #66-400 and they are @$11 ea.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info.
After removing the pump assy noticed what looks like the pump acuator shaft for lack of better words ...the flat bar in back of the assy that should move up and down to pressureize the pump was stuck in the up position.
After persuadeing it a little and rotating the rooler cam I got it to move a little.
Using REEL MAGIC fishing reel liubricant in the obvious places it is now free and moves with the wiper motor....still no water so next comes the rebuild kit from the bone zone!
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John thanks for the info on the repair kit from auto zone.
Installed the 66-400 kit after cleaning every thing up and the only problem I had was it had so much pressure the water was clearing the roof of the car by five feet.
Readjusted the nozzles and all is fine.
And the auto zone down here on the bayou in louisiana had the kit for 6.99
Thanks for ya'lls help
Stan

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Same problem here... but for a 67. I replace my original with an aftermarket and it works great but looks quite different from the original. Anyone have some quick instructions on how to rebuild. Mine also clicks like a relay without building enough pressure to pump the water so I assume it is the diaphram. Does anyone have a picture or instructions on how to rebuild or does that come with the kit. Do these kits come with the white or black ends? The originals face forwards and the "oem" replacements face down. Do the kits still work on the orignals? This concludes my 20 questions...

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
The rebuild kit (66-400) mentioned above does not include the diaphragm. I got a new diaphragm from a corvette parts supplier (grilleteeth.com) but still had trouble getting it to prime.

No instructions come with the kit. You just unscrew the 4 screws on the spigots and to remove the diaphragm push in and turn 90 degrees and it will unlock. Spigots can be reinstalled pointing forward as original. That's about it.

After you push the button to squirt, the gear wheel is engaged for one full revolution then a cam breaks a set of points, lifting ground and the diaphragm stops moving.

Also it's all driven by the wiper motor so it cannot squirt without the wiper motor running. It's quite a piece of engineering.:D Not so great compared to any modern car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 66-400 kit I got had the diaphram in it and installed quite easy.
Vincent I think the clicking you hear is the rotating wheel in in the pump that pressureises the pump by lifting and dropping a slide bar in to the pump.
It is not as hard as it sounds to repair.
The 66-400 kit had the bottoms white and even came with new screws and a filter for the bottle.
I cleaned every thing except the coil with contact cleaner then lubricated all moving parts with Penn Reel Magic Lubricant which I use on the boats due to it's corroision resistance and water reppelent factors and reinstalled and every thing works fine.
If you remove the cover to the pump and turn on the wipers you will see haw it opperates.
It only takes two or three screws to remove and other than the pump section you don't have to dissasemble anthing else.
Wish I would have taken photos.
Wish every thing was that easy.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The rebuild kit (66-400) mentioned above does not include the diaphragm. I got a new diaphragm from a corvette parts supplier (grilleteeth.com) but still had trouble getting it to prime.

No instructions come with the kit. You just unscrew the 4 screws on the spigots and to remove the diaphragm push in and turn 90 degrees and it will unlock. Spigots can be reinstalled pointing forward as original. That's about it.

One of the reasons I buy that kit from Auto-Zone (a few other places carry it also ;) ) IS that it contains everything, including the diaphram :yes: , you need to repair most pumps :thumbsup:
Some of the cheaper kits from "Help" and others aren't as complete...

I've never needed instructions for one of these, but they are in the GM manuals if needed.

You're little instruction write-up will serve well for 99% of the folks on here to do one :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
One of the reasons I buy that kit from Auto-Zone (a few other places carry it also ;) ) IS that it contains everything, including the diaphram :yes: , you need to repair most pumps :thumbsup:
Some of the cheaper kits from "Help" and others aren't as complete...

I've never needed instructions for one of these, but they are in the GM manuals if needed.

You're little instruction write-up will serve well for 99% of the folks on here to do one :thumbsup:
Wow! I wish I had known that before I paid way too much for mine. But searching the part number 66-400 on the AutoZone website shows a kit with everything BUT the diaphragm. Bummer!
Check it out-
http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,66-400/shopping/allResults.htm;jsessionid=9A20AD80AC315334FF8A7CBD183CC153

Are we talking about the same part- the bellows?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Yup, the black rubber piece.
It is in the kit, but I don't see it in that photo :confused: (never looked at their site...).
It may be why the lower plate part 'looks' darker than just white plastic - maybe they have it under/installed (that is where it goes) on that piece in the photo ???

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Well, I stand corrected! but this KILLS me because I paid $25(2 times) from the corvette guy. I even posted about this and searched posts to try to find out how to get just the diaphragm. Nobody knew.

I'm not surprised the photo is inaccurate. I recently bought a heater core from Autozone and had to purchase the 68 camaro one to fit my 67. The counterguy agreed their system was a little messed up! Now I know for next time...

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Between the bottom and top halves.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
The large round ring in the photo goes between 2 white halves??
That seems to be where the 3 ring rubber part goes. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is a groove in the plastic to accept the oring as well as the three small diaphrams.
it is as easy as it gets and yes it does come with an installation diagram.
If I can do it it has to be easy!

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Stan, I agree it's easy. I've already done mine but I think from what you describe 67 may be different than 68/69. It's obvious where the 3ring o-ring goes- between the two white parts. Any chance you can post up or photo the installation diagram?

The only groove I see that can accept the large O-ring is where the diaphragm(bellows) seats. Right?

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
We all love pictures! But it sounds like I can figure it out either way so I will pick up a kit...

I live in a small city with no autozone... will this work for a 67?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68-69-70-71-72-73-CAMARO-WASHER-PUMP-KIT-WHITE-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42606QQihZ021QQitemZ310122821760QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting
Auction says: These are piston-type kits and NOT bellows-type kits!
Any suggestion on where to order a complete diaphragm (bellows) kit? Sounds like the autozone online "may" come with the full kit.
I assume the kit must carry the following part to be complete...
http://grilleteeth.com/shop/item.asp?part=1044

Could I take my firewheelclassis replacement (currently working and on the car) apart and use the blatter to fix my original?
http://www.firewheelclassics.com/store/item.asp?Category=&SubCategoryID=&GroupID=&SKU=WW104

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
That bellows from Grilleteeth is not complete and winds up costing $26 with the shipping. But they guy "threw in" the rest (white parts) for free. I think he felt bad charging me so much on shipping!

That firewheel classics pump probably has the same bellows.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I just ordered this kit - part # 66-400 from AutoZone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=368860_0_0_&skuDescription=Taap+/+Windshield+Washer+Pump&brandName=Taap&displayName=Windshield+Washer+Pump&categoryNValue=15799999&sortType=&store=2013&isSearchByPartNumber=true&fromWhere=&fromString=search&itemId=prod10719&navValue=15700155&filterByKeyWord=66-400&productId=368860&appQuestionText=&categoryDisplayName=Electrical+&+Lighting&parentId=cat10012&questions=[] and it did not include the diaphragm. How is it that some kits include it and some do not with the same part number? I paid $6.99 for the kit and some have listed the kit costing $11. As seen in the picture, there is not a diaphragm. It only includes what you see. Just wanted everyone to be aware.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts