Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right section or not, but since it's not all electrical based, I figured I'd start here.

When I bought my 67, it was (and still is) missing the wiper motor and I'm not sure what all I need to buy. It has a switch in the dash and the transmission/arms are intact, but nothing else (does have wiring in an aftermarket harness). There is a flat plate mounted over the opening in the firewall.

On the transmission linkage/arm, there is no arm for the motor but it does look like everything else is there, though I'm not sure it's the right stuff. Moving this left/right will move the wiper arms but I'll have to look closer to see what the clamp looks like at the end of the transmission rod (to see if it is a socket will take a ball).

The harness has two, two terminal plugs. Again, this is an aftermarket harness and may not be model specific. I am an electrical engineer by profession, so I can sort that out later with a multimeter.

My biggest question pertains to the motor. What is the difference between a three terminal and four? I don't need a washer pump at this time because I have nothing else for it (no tank, nozzles, etc.). I just want to get the wipers working in case I get caught in the rain. Are there any gaskets, rubber mounting grommets, bushings, or anything else that I would need to purchase that wouldn't come with the motor?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here is the factory assembly manual diagram. And a photo of the motor mechanical connection. You will probably need new mounts and screw (e) and the lever for the motor. Mounts can be bought on-line. Find someone with a spare lever. Also, a big rubber foam gasket needed for the body where it fits through the firewall. I would pull transmission linkage to clean and lubricate all pivot points.

4 terminals were used on 66 model year Chevrolet cars. A jumper was used to get them to work on the production line. Then the model lines switched in 1967 to 3 terminal. (all about the $$$s). My 66 Corvair had a 4 terminal motor and I converted it to 3 terminal motor. All Camaros had 3 terminal motors.

Get a motor with washer capability and add it later. There is a cover on the drive to protect it until it is needed. You can but the motor, reservoir, brackets and hardware online.

You ought to get hold of a copy of the 67 Camaro Factory Assembly Manual to help you with the parts and assembly of the car. It has saved me many times when I needed a fast answer.

Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Auto part Parallel

Bicycle part Tool Machine Nut Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! This is exactly what I needed! I can't thank you enough, this is one that I've not been able to feel confident about when trying to source parts.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing...I know there can be issues with valve cover fitment, especially on big blocks. I have a SBC, roller rockers, and tall valve covers with reusable valve cover gaskets (neither are installed and the motor is not in the car yet). Should I have concern over whether or not there will be an interference issue?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Probably going to be a problem. But solvable if you look around.

Doesnt state a washer feature, but you can get a pump and reservoir from a 80s Chevy car and mount it somewhere and use a momentary button to activate the washer electric pump.

Camaro Central
1967 Camaro Slim Fit 2 Speed Wiper Motor
Our Price: $294.95

1967 Camaro 2 speed replacement wiper motor. Exact fit for all 67 Camaro models. This slim fit wiper motor will fit directly in the factory location, allowing you to have ample clearance for your tall valve covers. This compact wiper motor will attach to the original wiper transmission with ease. Kit will include the wiper motor with mounting bracket, wiring, 2 speed switch & switch shaft extension, allowing the switch to be mounted in the stock location.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Cable

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. Good to know that I have options. I guess I'll get the engine in and verify clearance, then put a wiper motor in before I put the hood back on.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well now, that's interesting. I wish they had some photos of the installed unit.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for posting this. Spendy, but it's certainly a clean install and gets the motor out of the way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
In 68, GM reclocked the motor on the mounting plate and you have no problem with valve covers. I run old M/T valve covers on the 68RS and it works fine. I don't know if the transmission arms are the same as 67. I have a complete set up in storage I think. I'll have to look if you are interested.
Ron

·
Registered
561 Posts
I found two sets, but there is a slight difference in the bend on the short arm (driver's side) so I have to go out in the storage trailer for the other car and compare them. I got worried about the holes in the firewall for clocking of the motor. Can anyone identify the clocking is the same for a 67 and 68? I have 4 motor drive assemblies, but they are all the same. There maybe a difference in the park location due to reclocking.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Car
Tire Hood Kitchen utensil Tool Cutlery
Wood Hood Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bad news I am afraid, I was going to try to clean them up and the wiper shafts are pretty stiff like the grease has set up. I don't see how to take them apart to grease them up. I won't sell them as I don't believe in taking people. I see you can buy new linkage for about $100. Probably your best bet. I didn't dig out the motors as I don't know how a 67 firewall is punched for mounting them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts