Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I bought this car from tried to replace the motor with a used motor which seems to work fine. However, the wipers don't climb the window all the way and they leave the bottom of the window on the way down. I just removed the motor from the firewall and it seems to be pretty straight forward. Any tips on how to get this corrected? Also, I can seem to get my wiper arms off of the shafts for replacement. Any tips on how to remove those would be appreciated too.

MadDogSkip...
San Diego

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
First of all, get this tool:

Wiper arm removal tool

It makes wiper arm removal and replacement a 2-second job with no harm whatsoever to the components. The tool is $4.50 from Rick's but you might be able to find it at local tool outlets.

Best way to align the wiper arms, in my opinion, is to remove the arms, then run the motor then turn it off. Re-position the arms at the "at-rest" position (i.e. the positions are outlined in the assembly manual, from memory the rhs one is 1.5" from the trim and the lhs is 1.40-1.45" from the trim).

The assembly manual also shows you how the bracket that drives the wiper transmission assembly (i.e. the bracket bolts onto the back of the motor inside the cowl area) needs to be lined up.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks guys. I'll try it. Not that we get much rain around here but sometimes the fog can get a bit damp.

I'm in Scripps Ranch. Were are you at?

I know this is an off topic but would you have any ideas where to look to get my passenger door mechanism unstuck?

Thanks again.
Hopefully I'll see you out on the road when I get her road worthy.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Rosecrans . . . I remember that street from back when I was in the Navy . . . LOL Do they still have that little dry-cleaners / sub shop on Rosecrans? I always loved their subs. That place and the little 24 HR Mexican food shop with the picnic benches -- used to be called Alberto's in the 80's but I know the name changed quite often.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This brings back some old memories. Back in the late 70's or early 80's I replaced my wiper motor with a boneyard replacement. The Vega had the same wiper motor on it as the Camaro so I bought a Vega piece. I am sure other cars used the same wiper motor as well.

The wiper arms were doing some realy strange antics for a while. It took some head scratching and a lot of beer but I finaly tried using the crank arm from the old Camaro wiper motor on the Vega wiper motor and all was well. The Vega crank arm was slightly different in length as compared to the Camaro arm and it made a difference. Looked the same at a glance but they were different enough to cause the problem. If you have the old wiper motor, pull the crank arm off and swap it.

-Mark.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, man we should hook up. It will be a few weeks though before I can take'r out since she needs some motor/carb work and new tires.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'll try getting the tool, removing the wiper arms, running the motor and the reinstalling the arms (when I shut the wipers off of course). If this does not work, I'll check the bracket.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update... While I could not find the tool to remove the wiper, I did find a work around.

I took one of my wifes rubber 5x5 pieces of rubber used to open jars and such, placed it between the wiper and body as a anti-scratch shield, removed the locking pin with a screwdriver flat head.

At this point, I ran into trouble as I have never removed these types of wiper arms before and didn't know how much pressure I should exert upon removal. I have it a pretty good tug (didn't want to break the arm or sractch the car) and could not get it off so I used some PB Blaster (available at any automotive store) and it finally came off. I had to combine the piece of rubber and some soft handled plier handles for leverage and then I used a screwdriver (alternating side of the wiper post) and finally got it off. The passenger side was even tougher but I shot some PB Blaster on it twice and followed the above steps until I got it off. It turns out that the previous owner painted the post with the car resulting in additional adhesion.

After I got the arms off I hooked up the wiper motor, turned the key on started and stopped the motor and reinstalled the wiper arms (after thoroughly cleaning the posts with a wire brush and PB Blaster). Now the wipers are setup perfectly.

Thanks for all of your help out there... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts