Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have problems with their wiper switch? My '68 wipers were working great, then one day they just quit. Checked the fuse panel, all ok. Checked the wires, all ok. Tried pushing on the switch (instead of turning)to activate the washer function and that works! (then the wiper motors must be ok.)

I have read that the wiper switch is grounded to the dash through contact with it's housing. Could a loose switch cause the wipers to not function properly? Or do these switches just konk out? Looks like the switch is original on the car.

I have priced new switches
$50 for one! Yow! What is the best way to test the old switch with a voltmeter (out of the car, in the car, hooked up, not hooked up etc.)?

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 06-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't exactly know how the 68 is set up. I have a 69 and I just put the dash back together last night. There is a metal plate that goes under both the wiper switch and the headlamp swich that works as a ground for the housing. I guess if it came loose it could be a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
choptop,

I have a 68 conv. I replaced my wiper switch last year. I bought mine from Rick's first generation for around $36. Mine had an external star washer between it and the dash, which bit into the switch and dash to make a ground. Yes, the switch must have a ground. I think that is how the circuit is completed from the motor.

H-dog

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks H-dog!

I thought that maybe the dash ground was bad for the switch. I guess the easiest thing to do is re-attach it with a star washer (apparently there was not one on mine when I removed it!) tighten, and try again. I guess if it still doesn't work I will bite the bullet and replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts