Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my wiper motor working. :D Now my issue is the wiper switch. :mad: The motor only works when I hold the wiper switch in. I've read on some posts that the two little grounding tabs in the back of the switch are normally the issue. My questions: a) is this my problem b) if it is, what are those tabs supposed to ground to? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Mark

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Which year Camaro? Had the same problem on my '68. I replaced the switch and the wipers worked just fine after that. I noticed that the old switch had a tremendous amount of play in turning the shaft when compared to the new switch. I feel certain that the old one was original to the car and just plain worn out.

You can test to see if there is a grounding issue by making a small ground strap (use regular wire and some ends) and connecting the switch case to ground. If the wipers work properly then you have a grounding issue. I believe 67-68 use just the switch housing and a star washer to ground on the dash, 69 uses a separate grounding wire (if I recall correctly) as a fix from 67-8 models losing the ground at the case/ dash interface.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Choptop is correct. I also had this very same problem on my 68. The cast zinc body of the switch is the path-connection to ground.

Most likely the problem is in fact the switch.

Option A) Spend money and get new switch.

Option B) DIY, remove switch from dash, Put the switch in a vice, very carefully, use hammer & drift punch to open up the factory crimps in the zinc case. The internals will pop out so be ready. Make Notes
on orientation and part stack. You will most likely find dried up white lube and carbon tracks. Clean with Alcohol and burnish all copper contacts with 400 grit sandpaper, re-lube with fresh grease. Restack and assemble. Repunch the existing crimps in the zinc case to hold internals. Test with a meter. Re-install into dash. Check your wiper operation and Crack a cold one. Victory! You have done it yourself- and saved CASH!

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 68. Should have mentioned that.
Thanks for the advice, guys. Great stuff. I'll dive in this weekend! Mark

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had the same problem on my '69 Z28. I found out that they didn't work when I got caught in a storm coming back from a car show this year and the problem was the grounding tab on the back side of the headlight switch. In my case all I had to do was reach in behind the switch and press in on the tab where it would get a ground and they have worked ever since. If anyone knows anything about a factory tach needle please read my post in this section.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have also had a similar experience with an NOS switch I bought recently at a swap meet. I put the switch in my car and the switch made the wipers did all kinds of strange things - I just figured it was the motor, since this was an NOS part.

It turns out that whomever assembled the switch back in the day put the internals in backwards. I simply took the switch apart, rotated the internals 180 degrees, and reassembled again. I would have figured that the switch would only go together one way - but apparently not ;) .

The wipers now work perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts