Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and found some helpful info, but I am still unable to get my wiper switch to work.

I put a Covan dash in my 69 and replaced the wiper switch with a OEM style from NPD. I used the 3 connection ground strap that came with the Covan dash... One wire goes around the hole where the headlight shaft goes in, one wire goes to the frame of the wiper switch, and then the other end goes to a ground. Well the headlights work, but not the wipers.

I tried putting the original switch back in and it doesn't work now either. I tried by passing the covan ground strap and just used a single ground wire from the switch to known good ground and it doesn't work.

One question I had is... There are 3 wires coming from the switch (forgot the colors) one is for the off position and the other two are for slow and high wiper speeds. These three wires disappear into a jumble of wires. I know the wipers used to work and I was only replacing the switch for cosmetic reasons. What are the odds one of those three wires got damaged taking the switch out?

Also... Is there a fuse for the wipers? Anyone have a fuse panel diagram for a 69?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind the diagram... My fuse box is labeled. Now if I could just find my fuse puller. My fat fingers don't work so well. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it wasn't a fuse. I also rechecked the ground and all of the other items that are grounded in the same spot work just fine.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
768 Posts
have you recently painted your firewall or the metal housing for the switch? new paint will block the ground. use a serated lock washer between the wire and switch housing. look up inside the plug and make sure you have clean shiny metal too.

if you have an ohm meter you can check the switches that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I scraped the paint off of the switch that came from the factory. I also ground a bare spot on the metal where I grounded. I'll try the serated washer next.

I have an ohm meter... What should my reading be? Just 12v for the power wire? Probably a dumb question, but I'm a car rookie.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Check for a good ground at the wiper motor too. There is a small metal tab rivited to the motor base which extends to the top left mounting screw bushing and grounds the motor thru the screw. if you do a search, there are some recent posts with pics on this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check it, but I never had the wiper motor out. But then again I've seen crazier things. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts